PDA

View Full Version : losing a lot of water this year

jilted
06-24-2012, 11:55 PM
At first it was because of a leaky spider gasket, but not that is fixed. Also had to repair a tear in the shallow end earlier in the year. But I'm noticing we are losing a lot of water this season.

* It's not going behind the liner like it was when I had the tear.
* It's been really freaking hot.
* I had to add more CYA this weekend I'm guessing because of all the water I have been having to add. I noticed I'm having trouble keeping a decent FC level so I tested it again this weekend.

Anyone else (in Louisiana) noticing a lot more water loss this year? Or anywhere I guess.

aylad
06-25-2012, 05:56 AM
I've been having to top off pretty frequently too. It has been hot, and we're getting very little rain. However--evaporation shouldn't be causing your CYA to fall-- as the water evaporates, it just concentrates the CYA in the remaining water, then dilutes it again when you add fresh.

jilted
06-25-2012, 08:50 AM
I didn't know that about evaporation, but I did lose a lot of water due to the spider gasket. I'm really not sure how long I was pumping good water to waste! At first I just thought it was evaporation so no telling how long it was! All I know is I have been topping it off a lot!

aylad
06-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Where are you in Louisiana? I'm up near Shreveport, but we've had very, very little rain so far. They're already saying that this summer will be worse than last as far as rainfall goes--which is tough, since the water rationing started last year by the end of July.

Janet

jilted
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
South, not far from New Orleans. It's been a few weeks since we had real rain.
My poor tomato plant is over 6 feet tall but has not made a single tomato!

jilted
06-28-2012, 08:37 PM
ok, the repair i made earlier this year started curling up! :-) that's where the extra water was going. i repaired it this evening.

such a mess that glue stuff got all over me! still stuck all over my hands and also in hair ugh.

Watermom
06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Glad you found it. Thanks for coming back with an update.