PDA

View Full Version : Intex Pool 18 x 48 a general question

reboot530
06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Hello guys found this site and excited. Anyway just bought a 18 x 48 pool for my daughter's 8 birthday.
Leveled the ground and is fill good so far. Anyway I was reading the booklet and it says do not run the filter while people are swiming. Why is that? Our other pool we ran the filter all the time.

Should we run the filter all the time? Thanks Aaron

Watermom
06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I can't answer your question but someone will know the answer.

But, I just want to ask you a question: Please tell me that you did NOT fill from a well?

I'd like to encourage you to go to the section of the forum called 'Pool Chemistry for Intex-Type Pools' and read the second stickied thread in the list about how to start up an Intex pool easily. If you filled from a well (which I hope you did not) -- you should also read the first stickied thread in the list. Until your registration is completed, you'll have to log out to be able to read those threads.

I'd also encourage you to get a good test kit. The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which you can get through the test kit link in my signature. It is only available online, so you'll need something to tide you over until the good kit arrives. Get a cheap OTO (yellow drops) / phenol test kit, or if available at YOUR Walmart (check availability (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668)), get the HTH 6-way DROPS test kit, which is compatible with the Taylor K2006. Test the pool as soon and you can, and post the results. If you get the 6-way kit, ALSO test the water you FILL the pool with, especially if it's a well, and post THOSE results as well. (The HTH is the best available kit you're likely to find locally, but it's not the K-2006. It can only provide rough measurements chlorine levels above 5 ppm, and it measures "TOTAL" hardness, rather than "CALCIUM" hardness, which is not ideal.)

It's much easier to answer your questions, when we know something about your pool. We often 'waste' the first few posts back and forth collecting information. So, please complete our new Pool Chart form -- it takes about 30 seconds, but will save much more than that.
Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)
Pool Chart Results (http://goo.gl/PXaLu)

Welcome to the Pool Forum! You're gonna love having a pool!

reboot530
06-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Dear Watermom,

Sorry to confuse you. I just put the pool up today 6-24-12. I used my hose to fill it with water. No well water. All i was wondering is why does the instruction say don't run the pump while you are swimming? That is really why I was asking.
I was also asking how long should I run the filter? Turn it off at night? to just let it run?
Thanks Aaron

Watermom
06-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I do not know why the intex pools say not to run pump while swimming. Maybe one of our Support Team members who has used to have an intex pool can answer that for you. I'll ask him to comment on it for you.

Did you read the sticky about starting up an intex pool?

aylad
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm sure one of the others will chime in shortly, but I suspect it is a grounding issue....a friend of mine down the street has an Intex, and the power cord running from the motor plugs straight into a regular wall socket--no other grounding that I can see. Since electricity and water don't mix, I suspect it's just a safety issue. But...that's just my guess.

Janet

Watermom
06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Janet, you are probably right.

BigDave
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
We had several Intex donuts before we had our "real" above ground pool installed last year. My rule was always "No one in the pool while it's plugged in.". Safety being the concern. I don't trust the insulation in the little Intex pumps and there is no bonding system like you would have with a traditional pool. Remember, it's just a little piece of plastic exposed to the weather, built for as cheap as possible, between your family and 120V current.

Use a GFCI protected circuit if you can. I would recommend the same rule we always had for these pools to anyone.

Swim safe!

PoolDoc
06-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Anyway I was reading the booklet and it says do not run the filter while people are swimming. Why is that?

I think it's the electrical issue + the US legal system -- attorneys in the USA look at swimming pools as a gravy train, and have established a legal history of successfully collecting millions from any corporation with the slightest connection to the pool where the accident took place.

Ironically, the greatest danger of a shock comes, not to swimmers, but to any one leaning against the metal frame. But it's small. Of course, the risk of being hit by lightning in the middle of a ball field is also small, but people do die that way.

Personally -- and since nasty legal botflies (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/insects/wormeye.asp) (NSF-Watermom -- really, don't click the link unless you have a strong stomach!) may be reading this, this is not a recommendation but is ONLY a personal observation -- I'd get a good inline GFCI, test it regularly, and not worry about turning the pump off. But, that's just me.

Here's what I'm talking about

Coleman Cable 02841 In-Line Tri-Source 12/3 SJEOW 2-1/2-Foot 120-Volt Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SQGV/poolbooks) @ Amazon

PoolDoc
06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
membership upgraded and post moved in to correct section. -ben