PDA

View Full Version : Old Test Kit

Pamsel
06-23-2012, 10:22 AM
How long are the test kit drops/powders good? I have been shocking my pool for 10 days with simply no improvement in the water. I am wondering if my test results are not accurate due to the age of my test kit. Can anyone tell me if the kit expires or goes bad after awhile? Mine is several years old, but have always kept it in a cool, dark place in the house.

Thanks!

Watermom
06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Is it a 2006 kit? Is the powder dark or clumpy? How long have you had the kit?

Post your current water testing results, tell us how the water looks and tell us exactly what all you have been doing to the water including the ingredients you have put in.

Also, please fill your pool's information in our pool chart.

Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)
Pool Chart Results (http://goo.gl/PXaLu)

Pamsel
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I've had the kit since July 2006. The powder is dark reddish-brown, not clumpy.

The only thing I've added to the pool this year, other than hundreds of gallons of chlorine, are CYA and muriatic acid. The water is cloudy and pale green. I can see about 18" down.

I started shocking a month ago; then realized I had a filter problem and my husband went into the hospital. For 2 1/2 weeks, I shocked once a day or twice when I was able to. Stopped it all for a few days while the filter got fixed. 10 days ago, began shocking morning and evening, every day. I sweep it down or run the robotic sweeper several times a day. Yesterday I brought it to shock level every 3-4 hours throughout the day. There is simply no change.

FC - 24
CC - <.5
PH - 7.2
CYA - 42

I am wondering about the accuracy of my test kit, but even with that, something ought to be changing with the huge amount of chlorine I've put into the pool the past month. I am beginning to wonder about my filter, also. Something isn't right.

Thank you!

Watermom
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
If your kit is 12 years old, then it is time to replace it. Is the pressure rising on your filter? Have you backwashed any and if so, what color is the discharge water?

Pamsel
06-23-2012, 05:07 PM
The kit is 6 years old, not 12, so is it still ok? The pressure is not rising on the filter. I have not backwashed since a few days ago when you told me it's best not to do it daily, unless the pressure is rising.

In the last couple of hours, I can begin to see some changes - the water is beginning to look more blue than green, still cloudy, but the bottom of the pool next to the steps in the shallow end is now visible. So it seems there is finally starting to be some improvement.

Watermom
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Why did I write 12? (Don't tell anybody that I'm a math teacher, ok? :o) I thought 6 when I wrote it and have no idea why I typed a 12!

At any rate, a 6 year old kit also needs to be replaced.

Pamsel
06-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Math teacher? I won't tell! That's funny! How many times something comes out of my mouth when I meant to say something else - the brain going too fast for the mouth, I guess. Seems we can do the same thing typing our thoughts. Anyway, so I need to get a new kit. I've been suspecting that. Thanks.

Watermom
06-24-2012, 09:09 AM
And, of course, the kit you want to get is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C. Can't buy it locally, though. Only online. Click the test kit page link in my signature above.