PDA

View Full Version : crazy idea - what kind of pipes to use?

haeffnkr
05-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Hello,
I have this crazy idea to heat my pool water with a wood stove, but I need a little help with the design.

I would use a small/medium wood stove with a heat exchanger in/on the stove, use a second pump to pull the water from the pool and push it through the heat exchanger, then the heated water goes back in the pool.
Yes it would take a while to heat all the water but I am talking about raising the temp a max of 20 degrees, probably 10 - I dont see why it would not work. Any problems so far?

I need help with the heat exchanger.
What metals would be bad for pool/pool water?
I was thinking about using a copper coil (flexible line - no solder joints) inside the stove, or galvanized pipe loop(s) built with nipples and 90s or the best would be a stainless steel tank/exchanger but that would be a little harder to make up...Maybe aluminum tank also, would aluminum work?...
So again what metals should I stay away from or does it not matter at all?
Not like I would be running it for the whole season.

The fire in the stove would not be crazy hot or big and with the cold water in the line/exchanger would keep it all from melting if it was any where close to the melting point of the metal.
I already have a stove and a pump - just need a loop/tank to give it a try.
Let me know.

thanks Kevin

GHM
05-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi
Someone posted this on the site earlier. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
www.redneckpoolheater.com (http://www.redneckpoolheater.com)
:)

duraleigh
05-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi, Kevin,

I will heat my pool with wood this fall. It's quite a bit more complex than you're describing but your's would work. I doubt the details are intersting to others so PM me if you have further interest in discussing it....I've done quite a bit of research before deciding on my system.

Waterworks
05-23-2006, 10:37 PM
I would use a real heat exchanger. I've installed a couple stainless steel heat exchangers in the last couple months. The ones I've used would allow for a 1" connection to be plumbed with your steam or hot-water source and 1.5" connections for your pool piping. My cost on these units was only $425 and with 180 degree supply-water they provide 70,000 BTU's. I'll go have a look at the brand names for you tomorrow. Regular PVC pipe is rated up to 150 degrees; if you think the water in your pipes will be warmer than that, use CPVC, which is rated to about 210. If you have more questions, let me know.

Brad
www.waterworkspools.com

MarkC
05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Here is what I would use but there not cheap. http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/9237/cid/2181
They are titanium heat exchangers. They are plumbed for 2" pipe (the water to and from your pool) the heated water from your boiler would go through the 1" titanium coil that is inside. Titanium is very resistant to corrosion.

Waterworks
05-24-2006, 07:18 PM
This is the type that were spec'd on a couple recent jobs of mine - http://heatexchangers.ca/pl.html#pool . They are stainless steel and will not last as long as titanium, but are about 1/5th the price. The same company also sells a titanium version.

Brad

haeffnkr
05-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far.
Will aluminum or copper pipe hurt my pool/water balance/chemicals?
Stainless is a safe I assume?

thanks Kevin

MarkC
05-25-2006, 12:29 PM
It's not that copper will hurt your pool chemistry more likely the pool water chemistry can corrode the copper if the pH get too low.