PDA

View Full Version : Need a new pool vacuum

PoolManTom
06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Hello fellow pool enthusiasts. I have been searching for pool cleaners for my father, since he is getting older and would like to have one that would actually work. Our current cleaner is a very old model, and I don't trust most "reviews" sites for products. My father and I found this pool cleaner : http://www.purepool.com/polaris-vac-sweep-f1-360-automatic-pressure-side-pool-cleaner-blue-white.html and we are wondering if anyone has ever used this product, and believe it is reliable. He is still in proper shape to be moving objects around, but he just hates the fact our old cleaner dies so often. Thank you for any response.

aylad
06-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

That's the vac I had when we first built our pool. It works very well on larger stuff (pine needles, small rocks, acorns, leaves, etc) but doesn't work very well for very fine stuff (pollen, fine sand, etc). There is a "silt bag" that you can purchase separately (around here they run about $30 that is supposed to do a better job of catching that finer stuff, but I never could justify buying it for the price, when I could just vac that stuff to waste. I did replace the belts (3 of them--the three together cost around $17 at the time, if I remember correctly) every couple of seasons, but it only takes a few minutes and is pretty easy once you figure out how to get the housing apart. You may or may not have to change them that often--my pool stays open year round, and my polaris lives permanently in the pool.

It does not run well in water temps below about 65-70 degrees, so if you do any winter vac'ing, you'll need to find a different method. It also required a booster pump. I have a 1 HP pump on my 18 x 36 pool, and they put a booster on it just for the Polaris. I eventually switched it out for the 380, not because we weren't satisfied with the performance, but because my dear husband tried to help take it apart and tore the housing up--and Leslie's happened to be running a special with trade-in on the newer model.

PoolManTom
06-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. These are the things you never get from reviews. Thank you for your details!

PoolDoc
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
membership upgraded. -ben