PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with a FeherGuard Solar Cover Reel?

cnk
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
I am thinking of getting this reel from ebay and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Is it a good one? Is there one that you would recommend?

matt4x4
03-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I did extensive research before getting mine custom made, but of all the mass manufactured models, the Feherguard is highly recommended, there was another manufacturer that made good quality ones near us, but I found out they were quite local and only available nearby.
The reason I had mine custom made was the construction of it was impecable, probably 5 times stronger than any other ones I saw, I have a 30 foot diameter pool and needed a strong pole that would not sag, which is hard to find, and it was half the price everything included where with the others, I still had to install posts to get it to the right height and adapt all sorts of harware, increasing the cost even more.

NWMNMom
03-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Matt4x4, I remember you posted a pic and some instructions? for the one you had made, as well as someone else (Donya?) posting theirs, on the old forum. You you post those again, pretty-please? I would love to see how yours turned out now that our new pool is set for delivery. We have our own welding shop on our farm so wondering if my hubby can build something for us... Thanks!

matt4x4
03-30-2006, 04:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/matt4x4/100_2895.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/matt4x4/100_2900.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/matt4x4/100_2893.jpg

huskerfan
04-10-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't have any close-ups at the moment of my reel, but I found a gently used commercial grade Feherguard reel on ebay I bought last year. Here's the only picture I have at the moment.

The origingal side brackets on mine have an upside down T, my husband made his own brackets for the sides that he could adjust up and down as we didn't know at what height the blanket would work the best at, and he didn't like the T edges sticking out and I wouldn't let him cut them off until I knew we liked the reel. The plan was to figure out where we wanted it, then to put the original side brackets on it. We never got that done. It's not as "pretty" as the side brackets/handle that the boughten one has - but is very easy to use and functional. It doesn't unwind when you stop rolling, which is a good thing as with my oval pool, the blanket tends to catch under my top rail when I'm rolling it up and I have to go back and forth a couple times and pull it out and straighten it. It would be helpful if my husband would have put a handle on each end too- but still only takes about 2 to 3 minutes to roll up my blanket taking my time doing it, and maybe this summer or for mother's day I can convince him to add it. As far as unrolling it - piece of cake- I grab it from inside the pool and just walk it back. Or you can do it from the outside of the pool too- just takes a few trips side to side if you're doing it alone. I like that I can do it by myself - my husband doesn't like our pool, so I hate asking him to do anything with it unless I have to.

If interested - I can take some closer up pics- or you can buy the ends of the reel from me - and just mount an aluminum tube in the middle of them. If you're hubby's handy at welding... like mine - piece of cake.

Or I have an Odyssey M818- up to 18' reel like new for sale too. I experimented whether I wanted my reel mounted on my top rail or off the end of the pool. Opted for the latter- and my FeherGuard is already up there- so will use it. The Odyssey is a nice reel too. Tube is very sturdy.

huskerfan
04-10-2006, 02:20 AM
picture should be here now

NWMNMom
04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
thanks Matt & Donya. I knew I had seen pix from you guys. These are so helpful.

Waterworks
04-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I have sold feherguard rollers exclusively for as long as I can remember. In that time, I can't really remember a single problem. The end packs are sturdy and the tubes seem to be long-lasting and dont sag much. In Canada the other big manufacturer is Rocky's Rollers. They look extremely sturdy as well, although I've never had a distributor that carries it.

Brad
Waterworks Pools

bbb
04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm looking to get a roller for my 20x40 vinyl inground pool with a diving board. I'm debating an under-the-diving board model like the feherguard low profile vs. a more standard model with casters. Any opinions on the merits of one vs. the other?

tphaggerty
04-17-2006, 10:33 PM
We also have a 20x40 vinyl inground. We were discouraged from getting the under-diving board model and wound up with a very large commercial model. Big mistake (if anyone wants a reel that can span a 30' pool and hold up to 60', I have a deal for you).

We are in the process of working with our builder to replace this huge beast (which lets the cover freewheel right into the pool!), so I'll be real interested in hearing what others have to say.

huskerfan
04-22-2006, 03:04 AM
I have a set of ends that are FeherGuard I'd sell pretty reasonable- you'd just have to add the tubing. They are from a good commercial reel - have casters that lock. Write me privately if interested.

Prov35
04-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm needing a solar cover reel, and I believe I am going to go with the FeherGuard. I can't decide between the 3 different models. One has a big wheel that sits in a base - Wheels Reel, another one has polyethelyne triangular ends - Blanket handler plus, and a third design has metal T ends - Knock Down, I believe. I bought a Horizon HV-10 last year, and it didn't work well for us at all. The bearings were cheap plastic, the tube sagged, and it took a ton of effort to roll up our cover. Our pool is an inground 20 x 40. Any input would be greatly appreciated. And it doesn't have to be FeherGuard, either. I just want to get it right this time!

HowardS
05-01-2006, 12:40 AM
I bought a reel at Leslie's about 4 years ago (forgot the brand name). I never had a problem with sagging of the aluminum tube itself even though the cover (18x40) is pretty heavy.

However, from the beginning I had problems with the plastic ends flexing when the weather got hot. These are the two ends that are rounded triangular shape and hold the handles and the casters. Last summer, they had bent so much that they are now unusable.

The plastic is white and heavy looking, but I am now looking for a replacement that is not plastic. Does anyone know if I can buy just the ends (aluminum or steel)?
Thanks.