PDA

View Full Version : New Intex Easy Set 15' x 48" owner - first time pool guy

burmjohn
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

First I'm a first time pool owner (soon to be, its being delivered tomorrow!). I saw a great deal on eBay and grabbed the Intex Easy Set 15' x 48" pool. Its the perfect size for my rather small yard on Long Island. I was debating for a few days on which size to get, but this seemed to be the perfect trade-off between size and space consumed in the yard.

Why did I get a pool? I've owned a home for 6 years now and this is one of the main reasons I wanted a house.... So I can have a great backyard to hang out in, bbq, party and play. In addition I have a 1 yr old daughter and my wife is off during the summers. I'd love for her to become a water rat like I was as a kid, she starts her "swimming" lessons in two weeks.

Anyways, after researching I decided to go with the intex because of the low barrier to entry. I figured if it didn't end up working out the worst case I'm out a few hundred rather then a few thousand. From what I read these pools are great starter pools and my neighbor two houses down has one as well, and loves it.

Sooooo that brings me to this forum. Luckily I found this forum and another one literally right after I placed an order from Amazon for some chemicals. I read enough within the first 2 hours of finding forums to cancel my Amazon order before they were able to ship it yesterday :)

I had ordered tablets, a dispenser, and a few other chemicals not knowing what I have learned in the past 24 hours.

What I did order was the following, and I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track now or almost there. Actually some of this stuff got delivered today already after i changed my order yesterday at Amazon.

TAYLOR K-2006 Pool Test Kit
INTEX Pool Easy Set Filter Cartridge Type A - I know these are crap from what I read so far... but I got a good deal on a 12 pack, and will swap, clean, throw out when needed. And I prob end up upgrading the whole system next year with one of the better sand based pumps when I catch them on sale.
Kem-Tek Algaecide - I was going to cancel this, but opted not to.
Kem-Tek Shock / Dichlor
Kem-Tek Chlorine Stabilizer / CYA

My "Beta" plan for the pool start-up so far is as follows and will more then likely be modified base on some help / guidance:

Based on the # of gallons 3736 I'm going to add ~46oz of 6% bleach to bring up the levels to 6 ppm over the course of filling the pool...
Test after an hour see where I am... then the next 4 days test and add the Dichlor....
After that 4th day make sure the CYA is between 30 and 40 and Chlorine is at around 4 and PH is around 7.4
Test daily, and adjust as needed.. Eventually getting up to a cya of roughly 40.

I just saw the thread that PoolDoc had put up "Super-Simple pool chemistry recipe...." - > http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055-Super-simple-pool-chemistry-recipe-for-Intex-type-pools-start-up-amp-routine-care I may end up going that route but I was a little worried about the cya level (now that I know what that means) when using the dichlor for 7 days as noted in that thread. However, since I ordered the better test kit I should be able to keep an eye on it (although it takes up to a week to see the results of cya?)
I 100% understand the importance of keeping the FC level up in the range needed for the cya level you have as well.

Anyways any advise is appreciated, and I already saved some cash and headaches finding these great resources on the net. I have also spend a few hours reading about the BBB approach, which is essentially the route I'll be going after getting that initial start-up phase completed. I know a 15 foot pool is rather small by most standards, however I think its a great start to getting in the game.

One other question I had, since these intex pools come with that crap 1000 gph pump / cartridge system should I be running this thing 24/7? I don't have a problem doing so if needed. I do have a whole techie kind of setup at my house so I can set this up on my timer system to turn on / off multiple times throughout the day as needed too. In addition do you run your filter while you are using the pool? P.S. if there is a better pump that is not to expensive I'd be willing to jump on it. I thought I saw something about a 1500 gph pump that used the same filter system as well.

Any tips for setting this pool up? From what I read so far level ground is a must (which I have) and to spread out the pool as much as you can so there are no wrinkles.

Thanks in advance.
John

Pool: AG Intex Easy Set 15' x 48"
Pool Size: 3,736 gallons
Filter Type: Cartridge
Pump: Standard 1000 GPH

burmjohn
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
One other question I forgot to ask, is this kit comes with the Intex Pool Maintenance Kit which looks like a cheap / small vacuum. Is there a better alternative to sucking up the debris on the bottom of the pool then this? I'm not to sure how effective this is considering I think its powered by connecting to a garden hose....

Watermom
06-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Sounds like you have done your homework and have a good grasp on what you are going to do to start your pool. PoolDoc wrote that sticky as an easy way for people to start their pools, and most of those people will not have done their homework as thoroughly as it appears that you have. It doesn't mean every Intex pool has to be opened and operated by that plan.

Once you get your CYA up to 40-50ppm you can switch to using a non-stabilized form of chlorine such as bleach.

Sorry but I can't answer your question about the Intex vacs.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Pool Forum!

burmjohn
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks, yeah I spent wayyyyyy to much time reading the past 24 hours, pool overload.

I was checking out this thing - > http://www.amazon.com/Skooba-Vacuum-intex-Inflatable-pools/dp/B001RPRXNO

Might be a better option for sucking up the junk on the bottom...

burmjohn
06-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Anything else I need to do to get approved as a regular user and put this thread in the intex category for more exposure by others with experience?

Thanks
John

Watermom
06-21-2012, 10:10 AM
No. It just takes time. There are currently about 31 threads that need moved. Ben is stretched pretty thin. In addition to getting the never-ending stream of registrations completed (and just as soon as he empties out this getting started section, it fills right back up), he also is busy answering posts, writing various guides such as the one he posted yesterday about intex pools, and maintaining some local pools where he lives. Plus, being a dad and a husband! So, his plate is pretty full, but never fear, he'll get your registration finished and your post moved just as soon as possible.

One other comment ----- Ben, the mods and the Pool Forum Support Team are the ones who can see this section of the forum, so the ones who have pool experience are already able to see your post here anyways!

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum!

burmjohn
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the reply.

FYI - The pool was just delivered! On the way home from work I'll pickup the bleach and borax.

BigDave
06-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Great planning!

You already know this but I'll say it - Level, very level, measured level. I can tell you from experience (had to drain and rebuild / refill our first donut pool) that "looks level" and "I'm sure it's level" and "is level" are different.

I think dichlor is a great way to start your pool. A total of 3lbs will get you to the 50ppm range - all you probably want. A total of 2lbs should get you to around 30ppm - OK if your pool has plenty of shade. Don't add that much at once, follow the dosage guide. You can dissolve it in a bucket of water before adding it to the pool then stir up the pool if the pump's not on yet. Adding it to the skimmer is not an option with your filter.

The dichlor will push the pH down so have Borax on hand to bring it up.

Since you'll have the k-2006, you can dose based on what your pool has used rather than daily and swim sessions. Test chlorine and pH often (several times a day) at the beginning as the sun will burn through your FC quick with very little CYA. Make sure you stay above the minimum FC level on Ben's Best Guess Chart (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html) at all times.

There are only a few CYA tests in the kit so do that one sparingly. If you keep track, you can move to the second band of Ben's Best Guess Chart (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html) after the first 3/4lb of dichlor and to the third after the first 2lbs total dichlor.

That pump may be OK but stay ahead of your water. It's real hard to clean up algae with one of those. Personally, I don't trust the electrical isolation in these pumps and I didn't allow anyone in or around the pool when it was plugged in. I ran the little pumps 24/7 when no one was in the pool.

The Skooba Vac looks pretty neat. I bought a AG robot cleaner during the first summer of our first donut pool (we are surrounded by trees) and have been very happy. It also helps to filter the pool as the intex type filters are pretty weak.

Good Luck, You're gonna have a great time!

burmjohn
06-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Well I have to stop spending money, but this was a good deal. And after reading about how crap the cartidge filter is I snagged the 1600 sand filter for $137.99 w/free shipping off Amazon. It shows as 189.99 but if you look to the right there is a seller offering it for 137 w/the free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DCANM6/sr=8-1/qid=1340305927/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1340305927&sr=8-1&seller=

aylad
06-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow, I just wish everybody that was putting in a pool would be as thorough with the research and learning as you have been.....you shouldn't have any problem at all with your pool, but if you do, just know we're here to help!!

Good job!

Janet

burmjohn
06-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Just a quick update... That deal turned out to be to good to be true... I get an email from Amazon stating 4-6 weeks delay in delivery due to backorder. I canceled the B/O and went with the 2650 which I figured could be used for when I get a bigger pool. Perhaps way, way overkill for what I need (which could be good, I can run the filter less hours?). Total cost was ~197 with free shipping. Now with this size filter / pump setup how many hours a day should I run it?

BigDave
06-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I'd seriously consider buying better cartridges for your new filter and setting up a cleaning regimin. See Ben's post #7 in this thread (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?15376) for detailed steps. If your new filter uses size B carts, you can find better quality carts here:
Unicel C-5315 Replacement Filter Cartridge for 15 Square Foot Intex B Filter (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039X2XZK/poolbooks) @ Amazon

burmjohn
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
No need for the cartridges any more, the sand filter is on the way :)

BigDave
06-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Ah, my bad, I didn't realize the 2650 was sand.

burmjohn
06-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi All,

Well setup went awesome... I had to move the pool from where I really wanted it because of a slight slope, oh well. The spot its in now is closer to the patio and on level ground, the setup and fill went perfect.

First water test was done last night (Just TC) which was 13.5. This mornings test was TC: 13, PH: 7.2, TA: 20, CH:20. I added some borax to bring the PH up a little and will test later on today again.

Pics:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7276/7425728216_bd7e86a9dd_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7246/7425728334_135c6c0032_z.jpg

So, so far so good... I do have a question, what is that gray thing that came with the pool? Its shaped like a sail and made of PVC and vinyl?
The ladder that came with this thing isnt the sturdiest... Any alternatives out there? I'd prefer to get something better.

Watermom
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Maybe post a picture of the gray thing you are talking about so someone can help you identify it.

The water looks inviting! You don't want the chlorine so high, however, with no CYA in there. also, you'll probably want to bump the alk up with some baking soda. It will help make your pH more stable. Aim for around 80-100.

burmjohn
06-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Its high because of the initial shocking process I was taking. I'm going to work on the Alk tomorrow. Suggestions for amount of baking soda to bring it up to that 80 mark with the 3800 gal pool?

I went in the pool today, little cold, but man it felt gooood.

BigDave
06-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Beautiful install; it looks like the picture on the Intex box!
The gray plastic "sail" may be intended to be installed on the ladder inside the pool to prevent swimming under the ladder and getting stuck under water.
How are you planning to add CYA?

Watermom
06-24-2012, 02:08 PM
He states in his first post that he is going to use dichlor for awhile which will give him the needed CYA. (I had to go back and reread to find that info as well because I, too, had forgotten his plan.)

Regarding baking soda additions --- each half pound will add about 10ppm to your alk. Don't try to get to your target with one big dose. Do several small ones instead waiting a few hours between additons. I'd probably add a lb. at a time.

Dave --- I bet you're right about the gray sail thing. Makes sense.

burmjohn
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks.

I added a about a pound and 1/2 this morning, I'm going to test it later tonight. Went in again today, wow it was nice after doing some yard work!

burmjohn
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Tested tonight.

TC:5
CC:0
PH: 7.2
TA: 50

Added some baking soda and borax tonight, will test again tomorrow.

Any suggestions what to do to hold the tube up, the weight is bending the liner down a little, the stress is prob not good for long term use. - Pic below:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5460/7436429218_7143cd0450_z.jpg

Watermom
06-24-2012, 09:42 PM
What about putting a tall stake or shepherd's hook (like you put a hanging basket on) or something like that to drape the hose over to support it? They probably wouldn't put a picture of your setup on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens, but I think you're right that the stress can't be too good for the liner over the long haul.

BigDave
06-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I had a 15' Intex for 3 years and my neighbor used it for a year after (until the mice ate it in his shed) and the connector looked like that the whole time - i think it looks worse than it is. The first year, I did prop it up with a stake for a japanese beetle trap 'cause it looked bad to me but a couple times the Kids shoved the whole pool dangerously close to the steel post so I removed it and let the hose hang.

burmjohn
06-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out a good safe way... I do have the sand filter coming tomorrow so maybe on the platform I could build something to hold those hoses up better. I did my last dose of the dichlor tonight, so I should have my CYA level where it needs to be and start using bleach. PH was at 7.4 last night, I'm going to test tonight to see where everything else is. We had a ton of rain yesterday.

PoolDoc
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
membership upgraded. ben.

burmjohn
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks Ben...

New filter is in, and now I only have to run it about 6 hrs a day...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com.KILLED/8163/7472516796_12e4a6a571_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com.KILLED/8168/7472516850_2047f1f9c4_z.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GndeWrL65J4/T-8V0ErOXkI/AAAAAAAADbo/zEpISQc4zSE/s800/intex%2520sand%2520filter%2520%2526%2520pump.jpg - https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ul4-xVV8gEk/T-8Vz_gfFJI/AAAAAAAADbk/QzZwwdbWnIQ/s800/Intex%2520flow.jpg

Test from this morning:
FC:3 pH:7.4 TA:60 CYA:30 Temp:84

I'd like to get the CYA up a tad more.

PoolDoc
06-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks good -- that's what we want the pool water in Intex pools to look like!

Watermom
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Yes, to bringing CYA up some. Water looks beautiful and inviting!