PDA

View Full Version : Test Kit - is this OK?

jnorris
05-23-2006, 01:06 PM
My PB gave me a Pentair test kit, which tests for FC, TC, ALK, CYA, and PH, and Calcium. It has the test tube thingy with the color comparison beside it. You add drops of the reagents to the pool water in the test tubes, and compare to the colors beside it. Is this kit OK to use? The only problem I see with it is it only test FC up to 3ppm, and I need to run 3 - 6 ppm due to my CYA of 40. Can I dilute my pool water with distilled water and then multiply the result times 2? Am I better off buying a whole new test kit? Or can I just buy a CL test kit that will measure higher levels of FC and TC? I know the test kit Ben offers is supposed to be the best, but if I'm OK using this one, I'd rather wait and spend the money when I run out of reagents.

Judy

prh129
05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
It sounds like you have the OTO test for chlorine - the good part about it is it's quick and easy so you can do it frequently and the color will get orange as chlorine gets higher, the bad part is the accuracy isn't great. If you can get an FAS-DPD test to supplement your kit, that will give you a better FC and CC reading but that one will bleach out if the chlorine level is too high. The rest of the tests in your kit should be OK.

It looks like Ben sells the FAS-DPD test on the poolsolutions website - PS100r.

Peter

CarlD
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
You CAN buy a kit just for FAS-DPD testing of chlorine. I think Ben sells one, and I think Leslie's web site sells one, but Taylor should sell one directly.

waterbear
05-23-2006, 05:39 PM
As far as diluting 1:1 and multipling the results by 2...yes that is fine. You can even go as high as 4 parts water to one part pool water and multiply by 5. The more you dilute the less accurate your test becomes but it will be in the ballpark. In face, CarlD calls this his "shotglass method" beause he recommends a shotglass for measuring! Only change I would make to this is to wash the shotglass out afterward and use it to mix a nice drink to sip while floating in the pool:D

jnorris
05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Only change I would make to this is to wash the shotglass out afterward and use it to mix a nice drink to sip while floating in the pool:D

Yep, I am a "cold fruity drink with a kick" kind of girl!

Judy

CAPTCHEMCL
05-23-2006, 06:33 PM
I have finally figured out who Ben is (although I glean from the postings that it will take a while to get a test kit); but who is Leslie and Taylor, how can I find them to purchase a test kit in a hurry? What are their websites or contact info?

Simmons99
05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Leslie's is a large chain of pool stores. Taylor is a brand name of a test kit - which i believe you can buy from Leslies pool store.

CAPTCHEMCL
05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
OIC, we must not have any Leslie's in this area as I have never heard of them before. I will search for a Taylor test kit. Thank you so much for setting me straight!:o

Watermom
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
CAPTCHEMCL: I received your private message and I forwarded it to Carl because he is more up on some of the kits than I am. He tried to reply to you, but your inbox is full. Delete some of the messages from your inbox and those you have sent and we'll try again tomorrow.

EDIT: Saw on another thread that you ordered Ben's kit, so I guess you don't need the info on the kits on the Leslie's site anymore. Good decision. Ben's kit is the best one you can buy.