PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of putting in above ground pool

dgbernard
06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone. I have used this site before and got a lot of useful information. We had an in ground pool until we decided to have a large tree cut down so that the pool would get more sun. Yeah, the tree went into the pool instead and destroyed it. We miss the pool and the tree so we are thinking about putting in an intex type pool for now and then upgrading to a large above ground pool in a year or two. I have read that the intex pools are bad to leak. Have you guys had problems with them?

BigDave
06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
I never had a leak in any of the Inflateable donut type pools we had. We never kept them for more than three years however.

dgbernard
07-14-2012, 04:35 PM
I am having a really difficult time figuring out how to use this forum.I have a message in my inbox that the administrator has disabled private messaging. I subscribed for a year with the hope that I would be able to post new threads. I have gotten a lot of great info from this site already. I just want to be able to get information relating to my situation.
I purchased a 15x48 intex pool and filled it with city water. I have the K-2006 test kit. Test results are 7.4 on PH, TA 100, chlorine 0, cya 0. I have added bleach but I have no idea what to do now. Do I put chlorine in a floater. If so what type should I get. Help please

aylad
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi, dgbernard,

The private messaging is disabled for everyone, including the moderators--that is something that occurred when Ben changed servers a couple of years ago. However, private messaging doesn't have anything to do with posting threads--you should be able to go to the forum you want to post in, open up the section that is applicable, then click the "post new thread" button in the top left hand corner.

Your numbers look pretty good, except for the CYA and chlorine. Obviously you'll need to keep some chlorine in the pool to keep algae away, but you'll need CYA in the pool to protect that chlorine from the sun. You can either use bleach for chlorine and add the granular CYA separately (target about 40-50 ppm), or you can use trichlor tabs in a floater (but read the ingredient label--stay away from tabs that contain either copper or zinc--copper is what turns light hair and fingernails green, and the zinc doesn't really do anything except cost twice what the other tabs do), or you can use dichlor powder, which will add chlorine, add CYA, and tend to lower pH, Any of these would be fine in your pool, as long as you keep an eye on your pH and add Borax to bring it up if it gets below 7.0. If you use the dichlor, the best sources that we know of right now are Sam's Club PoolBrand dichlor, or Kemtek dichlor available through Amazon. Many of the other chemical companies are adding "mystery goop" to their chems, to make them "new and improved", but without knowing what that "goop" is, it is hard to predict what it'll do to the water.

dgbernard
07-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you. Just one more question for now. I entered information on the pool chart but I don't know how to see what the recommendations are. Does someone send an e-mail or is there some way to access the information. I can only get to a blank chart.

aylad
07-14-2012, 05:04 PM
What recommendations are you looking for? The chart is mainly for volume/pump/filter/chlorination info to help us better help the posters in individual posts, so we don't have to go back and forth asking pertinent questions and wasting everybody's time.

Essentially, you want your pH to be between 7.0-7.8, TA to be 80-120 (TA is not really that important in this pool, so 100 is fine) calcium hardness doesn't matter in vinyl-lined pool, but I wouldn't go over 250 ppm or so because it can cause problems with milky water. CYA needs to be 40-50 ppm to start with, and your chlorine levels are dependent on your CYA levels (see the best guess chlorine chart" linked in my sig for more info and the chart)

Hope this helps, and if it's not the info you're looking for, please let us know!

CarlD
07-14-2012, 05:43 PM
The only leak I had with my Intex donut was when a hose leaked. The pool itself, especially the walls, are extremely tough. But I would ALWAYS put a seamless plastic tarp down before setting up the pool.