PDA

View Full Version : How Much Bleach ??

aswetich
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I have the PS 233 kit that I got last year and now have all my numbers dialed in real good. This is my 1st year trying the bleach thing and I was wondering if something is off because it seems like I need to add a lot of bleach to keep my FC right. It is a 20X40 Liner pool (32K) with a CYA of 60 so I have been trying to keep the FC around 6. I have been adding around 1 and 1/4 gallons every other day. (6%) The water is only 60 degrees so I was wondering how much is it going to take when the real sun hits ? Does this sound like the correct amount ?
Thanks

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Have you shocked it recently? You may have something in the water that is eating up your chlorine. Also, how old is the bleach? If it has degraded it might only be 2-3% strength.

aswetich
05-23-2006, 01:13 PM
It's been about 3 weeks ... I have a electric cover so very little stuff gets in it ... How much do you add with your 22K pool ?

KurtV
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
aswetich,

You got some good ideas from b=c?. To get even more help, please post a full set of chemistry numbers, including FC, CC, Alkalinity, and Calcium, in addition to the CYA number you posted. Also post the size of your pool, the hours of sunlight it gets, and how much stuff gets deposited in it (leaves, dirt, etc.). Have you had any recent algae infestations?

kv

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-23-2006, 01:23 PM
My pool gets 3/4 sun and 1/4 shade with woods blowing/dropping tons into the yard. My CYA is between 30 and 40 ppm and I try to run 3 ppm Cl. Thus far I have been able to go 4-5 days between chlorinating (dump just under a gallon), and that is with lawn mowing and a couple rain storms. I did maintain 10ppm for the first week the pool was open with 24/7 filtering so I think my pool is about as 'dead' as can be. I would monitor your FC and CC throughout the day to see if more than .5 CC ever shows up. If it does, you may want to shock the pool and keep it there for a few days to make sure everything is OK.
Also, KV is totally right. Even though you indicate your #s look good it would be best to post them. Especially if you post during a span of time so ppl can look for trends, etc.