PDA

View Full Version : How to point the jets

goldslinger
06-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Hello,

I need some quick advice on how to point my two return eye jets on my 18 x 36 rectangular in ground pool. one is in the middle of the shallow end pointing south. The other jet is off to one side on the deep end pointing west. The deep end is 8 ft. I think I should point them straight ahead and have the return water slightly disturb the surface, right? This is for normal operation.

Thank You

Gary

pbotz2000
06-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I point mine just enought to break the water surface and create a current and circulate water around the pool

TomC
06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Normally I point my jets in such a way as to move the surface water towards my skimmers. I also have them just breaking the surface so the debris on the top of the water gets swept into the skimmers. Sometimes , when trying to stir up the water on the bottom of the pool, like during an algae bloom, I'll point the returns down a bit.

Tom

Watermom
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I pretty much do what TomC does. Plus, whenever I add bleach to the skimmer (which is the way I typically add mine), I aim my jet down so as to mix the bleach in better and faster and keep it from having hot spots of bleach aimed right at the side of my liner..

goldslinger
06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I think I read somewhere on here that if You break the surface too much, it carbonates the water a bit lowering the PH. I was having that problem, so I adjusted them like You all mentioned; just barely breaking the surface and aimed them to get a slight cyclonic action. I have only one skimmer, so have to adjust it so the speed isn't too slow or too fast so the leaves go right in; hopefully.

Is is hard on the pump to add the chlorine to the skimmer? I have always just poured it in front of a return jet in the deep end.

Thanks,

Gary

Watermom
06-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Pouring bleach slowly into the skimmer is fine, as is pouring it slowly in front of the return jet. Either way.

If you aim your return jet upward to ripple the water, it will gradually raise the pH, not lower it.