PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Chloride Link to Cloudy Water??

Sprint54
05-23-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm wondering :rolleyes: if anyone has experienced hazy/cloudy pool water after adding Calcium Chloride to increase Calcium Hardness. It seems like I had hazy/cloudy pool water a few years ago after adding Calcium Chloride, and now I have another, after adding Calcium Chloride. I wonder if there's a saturation point where adding to much, to fast, causes the water to become saturated with the stuff. It seems like a read that the plaster benefits from the additional Calcium (after all that's one ingredient in plaster) by absorbing it. If there's to much in the water, the plaster can't absorb it fast enough and the water becomes clouded with Calcium Chloride. I don't know, maybe I have an over active imagination. Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Scott,

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I added 15 #s of calcium chloride to an IG plaster pool at the beginning of this season. Within an hour the slight-haze was gone and the water was crystal clear. Not to say you are wrong, as my Ca level was very low, but just an FYI.

Sprint54
05-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Interesting, maybe the reverse is true.... My Ca level is extremely low, just filled the pool a few days ago with soft water. I have added 8 lbs thus far, I'll add another 4 today and see where that takes it. Thanks

Scott

EricF
05-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Please post your full test kit numbers, especially total alkalinity. Calcium chloride with high total alkalinity can definitely cause cloudy water.

Eric F

KurtV
05-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Here's 99 other reasons you might get cloudy water.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/cloudy.html