PDA

View Full Version : Is there a solar cover that is less likely to blow off the pool?

cnk
03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Our solar cover always seemed to blow off the pool or to one end. We are looking to get a new one. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? Would a thicker cover be more effective?

matt4x4
03-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Is your cover hanging over the edge of the pool so wind can get under??
My pool is situated in the middle of a 5 acre field, we get super stong winds frequently, it hasn't so much as lifted.
When I cut it to size, I made sure that is sat flat on the water, then trimmed it so there is approximately 1" of gap between it and the wall of the pool, I cut two slits for the step posts that are 2' in the pool and a couple of 2" circles where the poles will protrude through, so the whole thing sits flat on the water.

cnk
03-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes it lays flat. It has been cut to fit, but the jets always seem to push it to one end or the wind blows it. It is a cheap one from Lowes. I wondered if a more expensive, heavier one would do better. We also live in the middle of 5 acres of a flat field with heavy Oklahoma winds. Our house was newly constructed, so there are now trees or windbreaks.

matt4x4
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Same here on all counts!
Mine's a good quality mid grade cover.
Do you have steps with handrails and posts? If so, try adding some clips to lock it around the posts of the handrails, this may stop the movewment.

cnk
03-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately no handrails or posts.

matt4x4
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
You could try clipping stainless steel washers onto the perimeter of the liner every few feet as extra weight to keep it down - feherguard makes really nice clips that could pinch a washer onto it perfectly