PDA

View Full Version : Intex 20 x 12 x 48

rlmommy
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
We bought a used Intex 20 X 12 X 48 pool and plan to put it up tomorrow. I've read through a lot of very informative posts, but am still confused. I have bought bleach and borax and will purchase the recommended test kit from walmart. What else do I need to get started?

AnnaK
06-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!

You'll need some stabilizer, also called cyanuric acid 100% or balancer. It helps keep the chlorine in the water and helps it work better. Are you filling from a well or from a municipal water supply?

rlmommy
06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
We will be filling from a municipal water supply. Should we test the water right after filling before adding any chemicals? Do we need to buy shock?

Watermom
06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Go ahead and test your fill water. You don't need to buy 'shock.' Shock is a verb, not a noun. Shocking just means super-chlorinating and you can just use bleach.

Please fill out the Pool Chart with your pool's information.

Pool Chart Entry Form (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHBLTzdpX19DZVlzUTRLOTU5ZFlZSWc6M Q)
Pool Chart Results (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahjo2iDF0aJgdHBLTzdpX19DZVlzUTRLOTU5ZFlZS Wc)

rlmommy
06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
We'll be filling the pool tomorrow. I read the post "Super Simple Pool Chemistry Recipe". It is extremely helpful! I do have a question, though. I ordered 100% cyanuric acid. Do I still need dichlor? Thanks so much for your help!

Watermom
06-20-2012, 09:14 PM
If you use dichlor, you won't want to use the CYA. If you're going to use the CYA, then you should stick with just using bleach since it will add no CYA. Let us know which you want to do and someone will help you get started.

rlmommy
06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Well, the plan was to fill the pool today. However, the inflatable ring is leaking air and we can't find where! I'm not sure if we should go ahead and fill, and hope that it will be easier to find the leak, or eat the $ spent on it (we bought it used) and purchase a new one. Right now I have about 2 inches of water in the pool. Should i add a dose of bleach to it until we decide what to do about the leak?

AnnaK
06-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Oh how frustrating! By my calculations you have about 150 gallons in there. Give it 1/2 cup of bleach, that'll hold you for a couple of days.

Watermom
06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
If the pool had a hole in it when you bought it, then I think I'd make them give me another one.

AnnaK
06-21-2012, 07:01 PM
They bought it used, WM. They might not have known of the leak when they bought it.

rlmommy
06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks so much for your help! My kids and I looked over the entire ring and couldn't find where it was leaking from. My husband came home, looked it over, and found 3 holes! He patched them up and it looks to be holding air.

We'll fill to 6" tonight, I'll add 2 doses of bleach in then. Finish filling tomorrow. When should I add CYA and what dose?

We can't return the pool :( Bought it from a garage sale from a couple who put it up for 2 summers, but said it was rarely used. We knew we were taking our chances.

Watermom
06-21-2012, 07:43 PM
They bought it used, WM. They might not have known of the leak when they bought it.

Thanks for pointing that out, Anna. I had missed that part as I hadn't reread the entire thread before I replied.

Glad you found the leaks!

AnnaK
06-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Good job on finding the leaks!!!

Have you seen this post from PoolDoc: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055 . It's a wonderfully detailed description on how to start up an Intex or other small pool.

rlmommy
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
I did see that post~ awesome info! I am following that plan, however I will be using CYA and bleach instead of dichlor. Should I start adding the CYA as soon as the pool is full? Also, what is the best way to add the borax?

AnnaK
06-22-2012, 07:50 PM
You will need approximately 40 oz of CYA to get within 30 - 50 ppm. Add 20 oz now using the sock method. Wait a week, test CYA, add more as needed.

You can broadcast borax over the surface or you can put it in the skimmer with the pump running or you can dump it in front of a return with the pump running. It dissolves very quickly. Some people get a mild cloudiness when they broadcast it. It doesn't last and isn't anything to worry about.

rlmommy
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
The pool is almost full! :) I've been adding bleach following the Super Simple Pool Chemistry. I just tested the Ph, it was 8.2 (or above) According to the Acid demand Test I will need 1/2 pint muriatic acid. The thought of using this acid scares me...is there an alternative chemical I can use to bring my Ph down?

Watermom
06-23-2012, 04:31 PM
You can use some "pH Down" which is a dry acid.

rlmommy
06-23-2012, 10:18 PM
My husband added 1 cup of muriatic acid this afternoon. I don't want to touch the stuff! Tested Ph this evening. Still 8.2 How soon should I retest Ph?
TA tested at 60. Do I add baking soda now or wait until I get the Ph down?

So many different chemicals, my head is spinning figuring out when and how much to add.

AnnaK
06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Please post the values for FC (free chlorine). It may be interfering with the pH test.

Watermom
06-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about the alk right now. You can adjust it with baking soda after you get your pH where you want it.