PDA

View Full Version : Softswim to Chlorine this Spring

tcjones
05-23-2006, 09:25 AM
The cover is off, the filter is on and the water is cloudy...

I have a 24' round aboveground with a Starbright SF-40 sandfilter. I want to switch from Softswin to chlorine this year and I need some help getting started. I will be sending my PoolSolutions subscribtion form in today, but can someone get me the first couple steps to Ben's "Converting Baquacil/Softswim Pools to Chlorine" article so I can get going.

I need to know:

What type of testing should I do?

What are the first steps?

What size truck do I need to buy my bleach!!!:D

Thanks,

tcj.

duraleigh
05-23-2006, 10:48 AM
I need to know:

1.What type of testing should I do?

Be able to test for FC (up to at least 20ppm), CC, pH, Alk, and CYA.

2.What are the first steps?

Cl up to 18-20 the first evening, then up to 12 - 14ppm each evening 'til it holds overnite.

3.What size truck do I need to buy my bleach!!!:D
A flatbed will do nicely! :)

TC, I wouldn't start without a test kit....you're just guessing without it...so are we.

I'm comfortable with that first dose of Cl up around 18 or 20....you'll never get that high the first evening because it will be consumed almost immediately by the baquacil.

Post your test numbers and lots of folks here will help get you started.

tcjones
05-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Dave. I am going to get a kit that will measure the basics you mentioned and post the numbers before I start. My AquaChek strips put my pH in the 7.2 to 7.8 range and the ALK in the 120 to 180 range.

I used BleachCalc to determine that I need 5.2 gallons of 5.25 % bleach to raise the chlorine to 20 ppm. How many times will I need to repeat this if my biguanide level is in the 15 to 30 range?

duraleigh
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
The short answer is...'til your pool clears. Again, I'd do 20 just this first time. Thereafter, bring it back to 12-14 each evening. Some folks here have cleared in just a couple of days. Others have taken a week at least. I suspect it's because they didn't keep socking the Cl in there. If you can stand the cost, bring your Cl back up to that same shock level during the day. The Sun will consume most of it but it'll still do some good and speed the process. The primary thing to remember is to stay the course.....keep the bleach coming!!

It would probably be very helpful to plan on adding more bleach later at night when you put that first dose in. Maybe each night would be best.

Looking ahead, plan on changing your sand when your pool is clear. Sounds like you've got a plan and you're on your way. :)

Lot's of folks here have done this successfully....you'll be next. Get that kit so you can measure those high levels of Cl, that'll help you more than once.

tcjones
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
OK, here is the status at the end of the first 24 hours.

Last night - Added 3 1/3 bottles (174 fl.oz size) and watched the color change. I had to use my MS Excel to convery gallons to 174 fl.oz bottles.

This morning the water was still green and cloudy, and FAC was zero, backflushed and added 2 more bottles before work.

After work, all the cloudiness fell to the bottom, vacuumed some nasty stuff to waste and added a couple inches of water. Test results:

FAC was 1.5, TAC was > 5.0, pH was 7.8, Acid Demand - recommended adding 3 lbs pH decreaser, ALK was at 210 ppm. I question the pH, acid demand and ALK results with the TAC above 5.0.

Added 2 more bottles for tonight, a total of 10 gallons so far.

Should I adjust the pH?

duraleigh
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi, TC,

Well, you're on the way!! Sounds like you've got a good handle on things. I see many people get cold feet and start dribbling the bleach when things don't go like they expect. Keep bringing the Cl up to shock (12-15ppm) each evening...it sounds like your on the downhill side already.

If you haven't seen it, VOLDADDY has an excellent post about his conversion posted this evening....it'll encourage you.

It's above my pay grade, but there seems to be some discussion that a lower pH (7.2) will make the bleach more effective. The bleachcalc has a section for muriatic and you'll save some money over "pH decreaser"

It sounds like you better get that new sand for your filter (and some CYA) quicker than I thought. Good work! :)

tcjones
05-27-2006, 08:24 AM
I am looking at a very clear, but lemon/lime-colored pool and need to a boost to morale. I have added 18 gallons of bleach so far...

I am using the DPD #1 and #3 tablets (0.0 to 5.0 ppm) to test for CL and I am having difficulty getting a test result when I test in the morning. Is there a problem using the DPD tablets during the conversion? I have even tried a 2:1 and 4:1 dilution and the results are not what I would expect.

I did add dry acid (low 's slo from last year) to drop the pH about 0.4 units. I'll test the CL again after a few hours.

duraleigh
05-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Good morning, TC,

Stay the course. The baq (and other stuff) is simply consuming your Cl each night. You need more bleach (12-14ppm) at dusk tonight.....even more (right back up to 12-14ppm) late before you go to bed will help. Test again tomorrow AM.....if your Cl is much below 8-10ppm, repeat the process.

I think VOLDADDY used something like 75 jugs of Cl to convert...posted a great picture of the empty jugs.

Run the pump 24/7....backwash as needed.

Clear and lemon/lime green is a good sign. Soon, you'll see that color head towards blue and then crystal clear.

tcjones
05-28-2006, 06:33 PM
I lowered the pH to 7.4 with 20 floz of Muriatic acid and that seemed to help clear up some more of the lemon/lime. Getting closer, more bleach tonight.

tcjones
05-29-2006, 01:58 PM
The water looks great and it's hot today, OK to jump in. Last Bleach addition was dusk last night.

duraleigh
05-29-2006, 02:03 PM
The water looks great and it's hot today, OK to jump in. Last Bleach addition was dusk last night.

If "OK to jump in" was a question, the answer is "Cannon-ball!!":D

Nice Work! :)

tcjones
05-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Dave,

Thanks for all the help.

Our pool never, ever looked so clear and blue using Softswim.

Now I have to figure out a new routine to keep it this way. I am adding bleach every night to get a 2-3 ppm level, and tomorrow I am going to add the CYA stabilizer. Any hints or reference to a good basic routine would be a great help.

Tim.