PDA

View Full Version : Still no CYA reading - low Ph - high Alk - how to proceed?

Stacyf419
06-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi,
Per this morning's test using HTH 6-way:

-Cl 3
-pH 6.8
-Alk 150
-CYA still no reading

I am using the trichlor tabs I have to help to raise the CYA. Chlorine levels appear fine, but as you guys warned the pH is low. I put in 2 tablespoons of the Borax yesterday.

My question is how should I proceed to:
-get CYA up a bit - continue using Trichlor tabs and then test again at some point?
-get pH up - should I be using more Borax at one time?
-deal with high alk?

Thank you!

aylad
06-18-2012, 11:07 AM
I'll have to look and see, but is this a continuation of another thread? If so, I'll try to find the other thread and merge these posts.....from here on, if you want to continue a current thread, instead of starting a new one with each post, just hit the reply button on the last post in the thread, and type your new post--that will keep all the posts about one pool together in one thread and be much less confusing.

As long as you're using trichlor, you are driving your pH down, and that can be damaging to your liner. The trichlor tabs will raise CYA, but slowly. However, they will drive your pH down in a hurry. You need to add more than a couple of tablespoons of Borax, because if your kit reads 6.8 and that's the lowest pH it will read, it actually means 6.8 or lower. I would start with a cup or two of Borax, add that, see if the pH moves, and then adjust accordingly.

You really need to adjust your pH up as soon as possible, and then either keep a good eye on it and add Borax as necessary to keep it above 7.0, or stop using the trichlor and switch to bleach and manually added CYA.

Don't worry about your TA, it is not really high, and in a vinyl pool with trichlor tabs, it really isn't going to make any difference.

Stacyf419
06-18-2012, 12:16 PM
Sorry for starting new thread - i did have an existing one regarding baking soda if you'd like to merge with that. I appreciate your response and will add that larger dose of Borax right now so I get started on the low pH problem. I'll keep an eye on all the numbers and re-test CYA by the weekend, then reconsider the bleach/manually added CYA if still no reading.

Unless you think I should just skip to adding CYA now? I was hoping to use up these ridiculously expensive trichlor tabs but I'll eat the cost if it means easier pool maintenance.

This little pool is really preparing me for our future inground one! At least from a chemistry perspective ;)

Watermom
06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Jan may be right that a 2-cup dose would be ok, but I think I'd only do a cup of Borax to start with. Test it again after a couple of hours and then redose if needed. You have an awfully small volume pool and it won't take much of anything to see a pretty significant change in numbers.

If you want to use the pucks, do so until you get your CYA to 50. If you find that you are losing chlorine too fast (because of not enough CYA in the water yet), then you can always supplement with a little bleach.