PDA

View Full Version : Rust Stain on New Plaster

md_rider
05-23-2006, 07:54 AM
We just had our pool finished in April and looks like we have a rust stain on the floor (think it came from a bottle cap). What would be the best way to try and remove the stain? It is killing me to see this in our brand new pool. Thanks for any advice.

mbar
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Try taking a couple of vitamin C tablets, crushing them, putting them in a sock and rubbing it on the stain. You can also use ph down in a sock and doing the same thing. Let us know how this works.

mas985
05-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Another method I sometimes use if the stain is small is called the stain eraser which looks like a big rubber eraser and you can get at your local pool store. Also, my plaster installer used 220 grit wet/dry sand paper to remove a few stains in my pool last year.

dalparadise
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Try taking it up to shock level. That works for leaf tannins and doesn't require scrubbing. It takes about 6 hours to remove the really bad stains.

mas985
05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Try taking it up to shock level. That works for leaf tannins and doesn't require scrubbing. It takes about 6 hours to remove the really bad stains.

This will make the staining worse if it is metal. Chlorine forces metal out of the water and on to the surface of the pool.

md_rider
05-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I had read that vitamin C works on some stains, but I wasn't sure about rust. I'll try that first (since I have some here at home) and if that doesn't work, I'll try the eraser.

Thanks again.