PDA

View Full Version : New to Saltwater System, and have a light green tint of water

carriermom
06-16-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm very new to saltwater system that we have. I am at a loss. Our ph has been high. We added some muratic acid to try and lower it. I also vacuumed the bottom because it was dirty. Now the pool water is green. I tried to boost shock it. Now it's saying low salt. When I checked the salt level yesterday it was a little high. We recently cleaned the cell with vinegar and replaced the filter. I'm at a loss on what to do and need some guidance please. I just would love to go swimming.

aylad
06-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The normal operation of a SWCG will result in climbing pH--that's one of the few water parameters that you really have to keep an eye on, and lowering it on a routine basis is a normal requirement. If the pool is turning green, you do need to shock it, but using the "boost" setting on the SWCG isn't going to be effective. First, the pool is going green because it wasn't producing enough chlorine in the first place, and second, even if it is producing chlorine, it can't do so fast enough to give an effective shock dose. You would do better to turn off the SWCG and manually chlorinate your pool until you get it cleared up. You can do so using plain, unscented bleach, but first we need to know some things about your pool to advise you on the right doseages. The first thing we'll need is a good set of test results, taken with a drop-based kit (no strips!) for Cl, pH, TA, CH, and CYA. Secondly, we'll need you to fill out this short info sheet about your pool so we have some idea about your setup.

Pool Chart Entry Form (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHBLTzdpX19DZVlzUTRLOTU5ZFlZSWc6M Q)
Pool Chart Results (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahjo2iDF0aJgdHBLTzdpX19DZVlzUTRLOTU5ZFlZS Wc)

Watermom
06-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Just want to add one other comment to the good advice Janet has given you ----- manually chlorinating instead of trying to use your SWCG to shock the pool is going to extend the cell life.

Welcome to the forum!

PoolDoc
06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Doesn't look like you did the chart; I'm guessing you've got an Intex?

If so, disconnect the electrical supply to the copper ionizer elements.