PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a pool pump

ivrs450
06-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Replacing a pool pump

I have a Hayward SuperPump 1.5 HP that is getting old and noisy and I want to replace it preferably with a 2 speed pump.
My actual pump is running 24/7 and I want to do the same with my next pump except that it woud run most of the time on low speed. I would use high speed only for tasks like backwash and vacuuming (manual) etc.

My actual equipment :
-Inground pool 18 k gallons
-Hayward sand filter S244T
-Electric heat pump Focustemp 85 XL
-1 main drain and 1 skimmer connected together to a single pipe near the pool pump
-2 returns to the pool from 1 pipe exiting the heat pump and spitting somewhere underground
-no cleaning device ( just manual vacuuming)
-equipement located 15 feet from the pool and no more than 2 feet higher than water level
- all pipes : 1.5 inches

It seems to me that the Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 2 speed pool pump, would be a good option.

My questions :

-Is it powerfull enough or too mouch powerfull ?
-With the pool pump on low speed, would it provide a sufficient flow rate to the heat pump. The manual state that the flow rate to the heat pump should be between 25 and 60 gpm (ideal = 50).
-The inlets to that pool pump are 2 inches wide. I suppose I just have to use some fittings to go from 2 to 1.5 inches to adapt to my actual installation.

Thanks

aylad
06-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!

We have been completely swamped with new users with questions, so we're a little slow getting some answers to folks. In addition, in order to give you the best answers possible, some of these posts are left until the most qualified folks log into the forum to answer. For example, I can help with most all chemistry questions, but equipment is not my forte, so I would ordinarily not waste your time with a response saying so. However, it doesn't mean your post hasn't been read. So...I have deleted your other, duplicate post, and want to ask you, just as a matter of housekeeping on what is already a crazy busy forum, not to post duplicate posts with the same information and answer.

There are folks here who can give you good answers to your questions, but you might have to be a little bit patient until they answer. Don't give up! :)

ivrs450
06-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks,
The duplicate post was put by mistake...

BigTallGuy
06-15-2012, 07:40 PM
According to the Jandy flow chart for the 1.5 hp 2 speed motor (I Googled it), the low speed is rated for a max of about 65 GPM With minimal head pressure. I have to assume this is with the theoretical perfect set up. Exactly what your GPM's would be after install, I'm sure will vary from this number. I kinda doubt that you would hit 65 GPM, especially if you have to restrict from 2" pipes to 1 1/2" pipes your pressure should increase but your GPM's would decline. Also, if you need to run your pump 24/7 for the heat pump, that's one thing. But, how many turns your water is making at that rate?

PoolDoc
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
My actual equipment :

-Hayward sand filter S244T

-1 main drain and 1 skimmer connected together to a single pipe near the pool pump

-2 returns to the pool from 1 pipe exiting the heat pump and spitting somewhere underground

- all pipes : 1.5 inches

It seems to me that the Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 2 speed pool pump, would be a good option.

-Is it powerful enough or too much powerful ?

Assuming you mean the Flo Pro, as shown here, Zodiac Flo Pro spec sheet (http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Products/Pumps/Single-Two-Speed-Pumps/~/media/Zodiac/Global/Downloads/SA6220.ashx), it's much too powerful. You should get the 1 HP model. Maximum flow rate -- for effective filtration -- through a 24" sand filter is ~45 gpm.