PDA

View Full Version : Any Use for Hydrogen Peroxide

Sprint54
05-22-2006, 11:36 PM
The past five years our pool has been on a Baquacil diet. I would purchase 35% Hydrogen Peroxide by the 55 gallon drum from the local chemical company. This was much, much less expensive than buying it a gallon at a time from the local pool dealer. Any way, I have approximetly 25 to 30 gallons of Hydrogen Peroxide left and am wondering if there is any use for it with a Chlorine pool?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

waterbear
05-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Hydrogen peroxide of that percentage is:
1. a dangerous, explosive, corrosive chemical (6% [20 volume] to 12% [40 volume] is used as hair bleach and 3% [10 volume] is what you put in cuts) 30% is 100 volume (one use is for wig bleaching) and if I am not mistaken 35% is 117 volume!
2. Has probably lost a lot of its strength since it breaks down so easily with heat and light
3. IMHO, It needs to be discarded as a hazardous waste. I don't believe it has any use in a chlorine pool because it is a very unstable oxidizer.
(numbers 1 and 2 above are FACTS, also concerning number 2...I have worked extensively in the past professionally with stabilized 100 volume H202 and have found that it decreases in strength very quickly when checked with peroxide hydrometer, as much as a decrease to about 60-70 volume over the course of a few weeks to a month even when stored in optimal conditions [refergerated and in the dark])

kazimir
06-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I have been doing a lot of research on H202 myself. I am considering using it instead of chlorine. There seems to be a lot of incorrect info out there.

Here is a link to a great web site that I think has the most accurate info. http://www.alisonosinski.com/pooltips/h.htm

If you think using it. I recommend using it with an alternate sanitizer such as a UV light.

The above web site claims that h202 will dissolve Diatomaciuos Earth. Can anyone confirm?

waterbear
06-05-2006, 07:28 AM
I have been doing a lot of research on H202 myself. I am considering using it instead of chlorine. There seems to be a lot of incorrect info out there.

Here is a link to a great web site that I think has the most accurate info. http://www.alisonosinski.com/pooltips/h.htm

If you think using it. I recommend using it with an alternate sanitizer such as a UV light.

The above web site claims that h202 will dissolve Diatomaciuos Earth. Can anyone confirm? H2O2 is an effective oxidizer but it is NOT a sanitizer as the article you referenced above states. It MUSt be used in conjunction with biguinde or UV light, as the article states. It works the same way as non-chlorine shock (monopersulpahte) in suppling oxygen to oxidize organics. UV light IS a sanitizer but it's sanitation only takes place in the reaction chamber and there is NO residual. Also the bulbs only have a lifespan of about 6 months and then need to be replaced ($$$) becaue their UV output decreases with time. IMHO and having worked with 100 volume peroxide professionally, which is weaker than the concentration used as an oxidizer in pools, and knowing first hand of it's dangers and storage problems and also having used UV light in aqaurums for many years, I would not depend on UV/H2O2 as a sanitizing system for my pool. The therapy pools that the article speak of are going to be more closely monitored (in a perfect world) then a home pool would be, using automatic feed systems and ORP controllers.. UV light is a fine supplimental sanitizer and is probably more suited to use in a spa with it's smaller water source and higher temperatures but even then bromine/ozone is a better choice since the ozone with contstantly reactivate the bromine bank in the spa and keeps the sanitizer levels up while oxidizing the organics in the water. Bromine and ozone are also a possible choice for an indoor pool for the same reasons.
And yes, H202 is not good for DE!
Finally, both H2O2 and ozone will destry chlorine so they are not compatible with chlorine pools.