PDA

View Full Version : TDS or other stuff?

dhale1
05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
My pool is about 25,000 gallons, inground, white plaster, DE filter.

Here are my numbers based on PS234 (except for TDS #).
FC: 15 (shocking cause I found a dead mouse in the skimmer basket)
CC: 0
TC: 15
CYA: between 40-45
TA: 120
CH: 220
TDS: 1200 (according to pool store)
PH: 7.4

My pool is clear but when it's dark and the lights are on I can see white flecks of stuff floating by.

Pool store told me it was TDS and that I needed to oxidize weekly to help remove some and keep it under control. I didn't buy any because I couldn't find what the main ingredient was and I also wanted to check here first.

Only chemicals I've used this year are bleach, muratic acid, cal hypo (sock in swim - only since I could use the calcium), and I do put polyquat 60% in once a week to prevent algae. My chlorine is constantly between 4 and 7 on a normal basis.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to get the water so when the lights are on nothing appears to be floating in it?

Thanks for any assistance.

KurtV
05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
d,
First, your pool store is up to here with it. If it's dissolved, you can't see it. Those are solids, in solid form, you're seeing.

How much are you running your filter pump every day? Your chemistry looks great and you're using the finest filter media available so the only other thing I think might help is to filter more.

I have the same issue. There is absolutely nothing visible in my water in daylight; absolutely crystal clear (I can tell weather a dime is heads or tails up in six+ feet of water). At night though, near the light, it looks like a tiny parade is going through. I am running zeobrite in a sand filter that I supplement witha bit of DE (saw some slight improvement when I started with the DE supplement). The only really significant improvement I've seen, however, came from running the filter pump 12 hours a day. I'm guessing it would be even better with more pump time but at what cost in power consumption.

So, I'm going to learn to live with the speck parade in lieu of spending the extra coin in pump time to get rid of it (though it may take some therapy or large quantities of adult beverages).

dhale1
05-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have been running my pool 24/7 for a few weeks to try to get rid of it but it's still there. I don't recall seeing this last year so I'm wondering if it is the cal hypo I used since it has a lot of inert ingredients. Or, I've been using the new Chlorox with the new ingredient (not sure what it is but it's supposedly has more whitening power).

I'll switch to generic bleach even though it's a little more money to see if that is the problem.

I've never used clarifier before so I'm wondering if that may help?

Thanks.

CarlD
05-23-2006, 06:35 AM
No, NO, NO!!!! Do NOT add stuff to such a healthy pool! (I mean, your numbers are absolutely PERFECT!) You are asking for trouble--if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! Remember: The air is FULL of all sorts of stuff--pollen, dust, bits of tree flowers (it's springtime) and LOTS of stuff collects on the surface and floats down into the water.

A MUCH cheaper solution is to buy "Skimmer Socks" or what ever equivalent brand your pool store sells. They are like a cross between a Mr.Coffee filter and a nylon stocking that goes in your skimmer and strains out really fine stuff. I find it's grabbing super-fine pollen in mine. You get about 3 of them for $5, and can wash and reuse each many times.

You do need to run your filter more as well. I like having a 2 speed pump because in the spring (and especially in this horrible, rainy cold spring) with all the pollen, I run 24/7--but at low speed. It's quiet and I don't raise the power company's earnings too much. There is SO much junk getting in the water this time of year in New Jersey, even with a cover on, that 24/7 is necessary.

But please don't "fix" something that isn't broken. Clarifiers are for when the water is cloudy--flocculents are for particles. If you MUST add something, add PolyQuat algaecide--it doubles as a flocculent and won't do any harm. You MAY see your chlorine levels fall for 24-48 hours if you add a lot, like a quart, but it still won't do any harm and should help clumping the particles so they filter better. And, if you neglect your chlorine, it will give you a bigger window before algae growth starts.