PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fiberstars 6008

jewel
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Our Fiberstars fiber optic system apparently became a 'snail house' over the winter. The snails prevented the fan from spinning and the fan then melted to the hot bulb, and it's a mess in there of melted plastic. We don't think it's salvageable. Has anyone else experienced this?
So we are at a loss of what to replace this fiber optic system with. An LED light system? What do we need to purchase?

PoolDoc
06-14-2012, 07:59 AM
can't answer questions; but have upgraded membership, and moved post into the appropriate section.

waterbear
06-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Fiberstars still makes Fiber Optics illuminators (http://www.fiberstarspoolandspa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/FB_Catalog4_%20Fiber%20Optic%20Lighting.pdf) or you might be able to get a 7 color Pentair PG2000 illluminator.
The Fiberstars has more 'vibrant' colors while the Pentair is more 'pastel' My personal preference is the Pentair (and I have seen both in action.) Bad new is that I think Pentair has discontinued their illuminator (but they still sell all the other fiber optics supplies like cables and lenses.)
Replacing fiber optics with any type of lighting that requires an electrical connection to the light (such as LED lights) is not a trivial task and will require quite a bit of work, if possible at all. Fiber optics light lenses are not mounted into the type of light niches that are used for LED lights so it is not just a matter of swapping out the old and putting in the new.
I also have not seen any LED based fiber optics illuminators beause LEDs just don't have the required light output. This is why illuminators for fiber optics are either metal halide (brightest) or halogen (less expensive).