PDA

View Full Version : Exposed Aggregate & SWG

Simmons99
05-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I say a posting in another area of the forum about not being able to use the SWG for a couple of months after a new pool is filled (until the agreegate finished as cured).

I asked the person why and the only answer I got was that the people wo applied the exposed aggregate finish on the pool were very specific about not turning it on for at least 60 days. Can anyone tell me why you would have to wait?

cwstnsko
05-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I was told when I started mine up that the salt in the water would affect the curing of the plaster. I assumed it had something to do with the plaster being mixed with fresh water and the salt in the pool sucking the moisture out of the plaster at an accelerated rate.

I don't remember the exact logic, but it's the same reason fresh water fish don't live long in salt water and salt water fish don't live long in fresh water.

Looony2nz
05-22-2006, 07:45 PM
FUNNY you post this, we've always wondered....I read somewhere you weren't supposed to start the SWG for about 30 days, something like that, however, our pool builder came out to do the startup and that included SWG and everything........salt in, swg on.......from day one.
Seems like they didn't care about the instructions in the Aquarite manual, but who was I to say anything...
How would I know if there was any problem.

Poolsean
05-23-2006, 12:53 AM
We've been dealing with plaster pools and instant salt additions and swc start ups for years without problems. However, I would recommend that if the plaster manufacturers "recommend" waiting a certain period of time, otherwise warranty may be voided, I would wait.
Fact is once the salt is dissolved, there shouldn't be a problem.