PDA

View Full Version : AO Smith Pump Making Noise...

rarely
06-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Hello, Im new to the forum and have a question. I have an AO Smith Pump that was formerly a Hayward 1.5 hp superpump. The pool installer replaced the hayward with the AO Smith in Sept 2010. I now have the same problem with the AO Smith replacement. Pump is becoming noisier by the day.
My question is should i buy a replacement pump and then have the motor repaired? Im assuming the seals are bad on this one.Also where is a good place to buy seal kit and which one do i need? How long do seals normally last? Thanks for any help you can give.

aylad
06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
What kind of noise is it making? Screech? Hum?

You can buy the seals from the pool store, and they're not that hard to replace. However, if you're needing new bearings, that's a whole different ballgame...

I think one of the other mods, Poconos, found bearings at grainger electric a few months ago when I was having trouble with a seized motor, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to replace/pack bearings myself, so I ended up just buying a new motor.

rarely
06-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I would have to say its a screeching sound.

waterbear
06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
AO Smith is the brand of the motor and that is all the installer probably replaced since AO Smith does not make complete pumps. Hayward does use AO Smith motors on its pumps. You still most likely have a Hayward pump unless the installer replaced your pump with a rebuilt one. (Just about all the major pump manfactuers use AO Smith motors on their pumps. They might be branded Centurion but that is an AO Smith brand.)

aylad
06-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Screeching is usually rusting bearings. Mine sounded like a jet engine winding up for takeoff. Your pump might last a few days, might last a few months, if you can stand the noise--but unless you're able to replace/repack bearings, I'd start looking for a new motor for your pump. (Mine was an AO Smith motor on a Hayward pump, too). Mine was 1 HP and found exact replacement online for $189, delivered in 3 days....

waterbear
06-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I'ts a good idea to replace the seals and o rings when you replace the motor.

PoolDoc
06-10-2012, 08:22 PM
You might want to look at getting something like this:

Rebuild Kit for Hayward Super Pump - GO-KIT3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00170TER2/poolbooks) @ Amazon
before you open it up. That way, you can replace pretty much all the bits and pieces. This is NOT an OEM kit, but Aladdin is a long time pool parts company with a decent rep.

waterbear
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
You might want to look at getting something like this:

Rebuild Kit for Hayward Super Pump - GO-KIT3 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00170TER2/poolbooks) @ Amazon
before you open it up. That way, you can replace pretty much all the bits and pieces. This is NOT an OEM kit, but Aladdin is a long time pool parts company with a decent rep.

And is exactly what I had in mind when suggesting replacing seals and o rings!

rarely
06-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Would it be worthwhile to have the motor repaired after i get a new one. That way i would have a backup.

waterbear
06-11-2012, 02:08 AM
Would it be worthwhile to have the motor repaired after i get a new one. That way i would have a backup.

Personally I would say no but others might disagree with me. My feeling is that a rebuilt motor MIGHT work flawlessly or might die very quickly so it's a gamble and it often costs almost as much to rebuilt a motor as buy a replacement. Also, not all people rebuilding motors have the same skill level so you really don't know how good a job was done.

rarely
06-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. You have been a big help.