PDA

View Full Version : Air in filter basket and filter

evanwellens
06-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I have an IG pool with Cartridge Filter that is about 10 years old ( I've had it 2).

It's been pretty reliable until this season. I keep getting air in the filter and pump basket.
I know, suction side leak. I've tried shaving cream, isolating the lines (each skimmer and main), no luck.
Checked all Orings , they are lubed and sealed, many brand new.

Hired a guy , he said I have no suction leak since no air is viewable through the pre-pump view port (sorry I don't know the proper name but it houses the backflow preventer). Several pool guys later they say there is no problem, but everywhere I read there should be no air in the filter basket (and there never used to be ).

Pressure is 16. Filters clean, pool clean, chemistry spot on.

If I start it up, bleed air from filter, hour later pressure is 5 and pump basket is very low. No visible water leaks. I've spent weeks trying to solve this so I can put the thing on auto, now it's got to be primed every time I start. Odd thing occasionally all works perfectly and runs hours w/o attention, then the next time it wont. Desperately seeking advice, I've been trying everything I can except replacing all equipment.

PoolDoc
06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Mark (mas985) is working on a similar problem in another thread. These sorts of things are hard to track down -- and the real problem is, simply replacing equipment may, or may not, solve the problem. To minimize wasted effort, do this:

1. Complete our pool chart form (about 30s) -- it will save much back and forth posting:

Pool Chart Entry Form (http://goo.gl/cNPUO)
Pool Chart Results (http://goo.gl/PXaLu)

2. Take pictures of your pool, your skimmer and drain, your pipes, and your gear. Send too many, rather than too few. Send them too large, rather than too small. PLEASE make sure they are in-focus. We can't tell anything from colored digital fuzz! You can EITHER put them in a Photobucket, Picasa, Webshots, or Flickr album . . . OR you can email them to poolforum@gmail.com.

3. Take the time to get all the model numbers you can. Note that the PUMP model will usually be on the wet end, not the motor. But, motor size info is relevant too. If you're not sure, you can take pictures of labels . . . as long as they are sharp enough to read.

evanwellens
06-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks for writing , filled out the information to the best of my ability. Posted a public picassa album with the pictures. https://picasaweb.google.com/115872391951188222299/PoolSystems

The pump has a slew of numbers on it , serial etc.. None say "Model number" , so I've written them all down ( ones on pump and motor )
SP4010x18NS
ENCLS
SP1610-Z-1-MNS
E44549.

Odd thing , just the slightest air in it now ( running the last 2 hours ) , earlier today went to 1/2 empty and I re-primed after only an hour. The only difference is this time I didn't bleed the air from the filter ( which it is my understanding I'm supposed to do ) . Might be a coincidence, just thought I'd mention it.

mas985
06-09-2012, 07:09 PM
The Nortstar pump lids can leak very easily. Try using pool lube on the lid gasket and then tighten as best you can. Once the pump is running go back to the lid and re-tighten. Note that in order to get the lid back off, you may need to loosen it while the pump is running as well.

Also lube the drain plugs as those too leak.

evanwellens
06-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks , I did try that. Used 1/4 tub of jack 37 ( Sorry if I got the name wrong) Did the plugs as well. I even swapped lids with the waterfall pump ( since we never use it ) and no joy. The lid can't be opened when the filter is running or soon after being turned off as the suction is too great. Speaking of suction removing the lid sounds like I'm breaking a solid suction connection ( hope that makes sense ) .

mas985
06-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Odd thing , just the slightest air in it now ( running the last 2 hours ) , earlier today went to 1/2 empty and I re-primed after only an hour. The only difference is this time I didn't bleed the air from the filter ( which it is my understanding I'm supposed to do ) . Might be a coincidence, just thought I'd mention it.
This could indicate the air is coming from some place else like a suction cleaner rising above the water level or a skimmer weir door that is stuck so the skimmer is sucking air.

evanwellens
06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Sorry I'm not sure I understand what a "suction cleaner rising above the water level" means. The water level in the pool is fine and the weirs are not stuck open.

mas985
06-10-2012, 05:53 PM
If not adjusted properly, some suction cleaners (types with with wheels) will climb the pool walls and all the way out of the water at which point they suck in a lot of air and fall back down into the pool. This will flood the pump basket with air and the pump will need to prime again.

waterbear
06-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Have you checked the o rings on your jandy valves? They can leak when they get old and are often overlooked. Also, have you checked the same thread that you started on a different forum since it has had some responses from some people in the industry.

PoolDoc
06-10-2012, 06:39 PM
He means that, if you have a suction side automatic pool cleaner, and it gets above the pool's surface while it's cleaning the pool, it can introduce air into the system.

PoolDoc
06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Mr Evan Wellens of New York has been abusing this forum, and others, by running simultaneous identical threads here and at two other forums.

Since he works in IT, he can't really claim, "But, I didn't know! I'm so sorry!"

He is now banned.