PDA

View Full Version : hayward super pump

lnjwink
06-09-2012, 10:41 AM
When turning on my hayward super pump 1 hp, motor will humm for about 10 sec then shut off. When i felt the motor it was hot so i'm assuming that it is overheating. What would cause the overheating? Any "home remedies" before i spend money on a new motor?
Thanks!

aylad
06-09-2012, 11:04 AM
The equipment guys will be able to offer better opinions, but having had this happen before on my pump, my first action would be to take it apart and see if there's something stuck in the impeller, causing it not to be able to turn. If the impeller is clogged, clear it out and that may solve your problem. If the impeller is not clogged, see if you can get it to turn by hand. If it won't turn by hand, one possibility is rusted bearings. This will happen if you develop a leak at the shaft seal and don't replace the seal. If this is the case, sometimes you can work it a little and get it to turn again, but be prepared for a very noisy pump once you start it back up.

PoolDoc
06-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Janet covered some of the basics, even though she's not an "equipment person". ;)

Watermom
06-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Janet! Our newest equipment guru! Good job, girl! ;)