PDA

View Full Version : Running AGP cartridge filter w/o strainer basket

Dutch
06-09-2012, 12:29 AM
I found that my strainer basket on my pump was leaking air. Since I have 0 trees around my yard and I have a filter bag in my skimmer, I removed the strainer and went directly from skimmer to pum inlet. Good idea, bad idea? Thoughts ?

aylad
06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
It's your pool and you can do what you want, but there's no way I'd run mine without both the skimmer and strainer baskets in place. I don't have any trees in my yard either, but I still get grass, leaves from the neighbors, insects, etc that blow into the pool. Although I try to keep it all skimmed off the surface and I empty my skimmer basket at least once daily, it's amazing how much of that stuff still gets to the strainer basket and into the filter. Besides, having to take the pump apart to clear the impeller because something got stuck is not hard, but is a real PITA. So....I would replace the strainer if it were my pool. But again....the choice is yours:)

PoolDoc
06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm not at all sure what you've done. On every pool pump I've ever seen, the strainer basket is internal to the pump wet end, and has nothing to do with whether your pump sucks air, unless:

it's the wrong size, OR
it's inserted incorrectly,

causing the pump lid to fail to close fully.

aylad
06-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Or--the gasket around the top needs to be replaced....

Dutch
06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
the lid was replaced with a new one as was the o-ring and I used Jacks lube. But the whole unit was made out of cheap plastic and it would not seal airtight. Ever since I removed the unit from the pump, my filter has been running perfectly, no more air in the system. I am still using a skimmer basket and a skimmer filter bag in the thru wall skimmer. So I l know I am keeping debris out of the pump.