PDA

View Full Version : how does skimmer sock work

mspool
05-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I am trying to figure out the way skimmer socks work. the "sock" filters out smaller particles that a sand filter might miss. but in doing that how do the bigger particles get through to the filter with the sock on. at first I thought all the particles pass through the skimmer and into the filter then the sock filters out what does not stay in the filter. with the sock on the skimmer how do the larger particles, those that the sand filter would catch get to the filter if the "sock" is on the skimmer? can someone explain the process. as always thank you for comments. (p.s. I wasn't sure where to post this.)

Theusla
05-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Your water goes through the skimmer then the to the filter. The skimmer sock catches not only the smaller particles but also the the bigger stuff. Keeping it out of your filter. You will need to check the sock periodically to empty the trash out. This is a lot easier than taking your filter apart and cleaning it. I use them and they work great.

mspool
05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
so if the sock catches everything from very fine particles on up, then the filter is essentially not receiving any particles from the skimmer except those that are so fine they pass through the sock and pass through the sand filter. I believe these work I am just not understanding how they help the filter. it seems like they take the place of the filter. initally I thought they filtered in addition to the sand filter. not either, or. I am really not trying to be difficult, I am trying to understand. (sometimes I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Theusla
05-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Basically it should give you a little longer time between clean ups on your big filter. If you have a sand filter and can backwash it, then it might not be a big deal to clean it. I have a cartridge filter and when it got full of big stuff, it was a major pain to clean it.

Keeping the bigger stuff out will keep your filter from getting clogged and operating better. If you do not have trees or other plants that drop a lot of stuff in your pool then you may not need skimmer socks.

prh129
05-22-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't know what size particle the scum sock filters so I can't tell which catches the smallest particles of the two but it is easier to dump and rinse the skimmer basket and scum sock than to backwash your filter especially this time of year when pollen and other tree droppings are heavy. Also, while you have to take the skimmer basket out to clean it, your filter is ALWAYS there doing its job so there will be some junk that sneaks by when you put the skimmer basket back in that your pump basket may or may not be able to catch.

The scum socks are more valuable for a cartridge filter since there is no backwash option - you have to open the filter up and manually clean the cartridge when it is dirty so it is much easier to rinse the sock than clean the filter.

Over the weekend, I dumped the skimmer basket as least twich a day between the pollen and oak tree droppings. The skimmer basket would have caught the droppings but not the pollen.

Peter

KurtV
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Your filter will also catch the things that come through the main drain (if you have one); so you won't have made it completely superfluous.:)

gregugadawg
05-28-2006, 12:56 AM
since this site is about saving money, use pantyhose to do this

waterbear
05-28-2006, 01:25 AM
IMHO, skimmer socks are easier to fit into a skimmer basket than panyhose and hold up a bit longer.

Also, I do not believe that this forum is about saving money. It is about educating people in the proper methods of caring for their pools and sorting through a lot of the industry garbage that just plain doesn't work, causes a lot of problems in the long run, and makes people hate their pools.

CarlD
05-28-2006, 01:28 AM
I see the MSPool's paradox. But that leaves me with another one:

Why do you care? EVERYTHING the skimmer sock catches is debris that is caught and that's a good thing.

waterbear
05-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Good Point!