PDA

View Full Version : Need Chemical Advice

vvon66
06-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and it seems like a great place. I am curious if anyone has any advice for the amount of chemicals to be added to the pool if you decide to not open it one summer. With work, I doubt I will have time to enjoy it and don't see the need to waste the time and effort with it. It's an inground pool, about 15,000 gal and is concrete.

My MIL didn't open her pool due to health reasons and the service she uses just came to her house and put alot of chemical in her pool for the summer. Any advise?

Thanks,
Vicky

chem geek
06-07-2012, 09:36 PM
If you can, you should consider getting a mostly opaque pool cover. That will save you a lot of money on chlorine. Otherwise, the UV in sunlight will consume chlorine every day. If you have the pool covered and use a white or light cover to reflect most of the sunlight, then the pool could stay cooler as well. Then, you'll only need to use a relatively small amount of chlorine. You should be able to get your daily chlorine usage to under 1 ppm per day, perhaps under 0.5 ppm FC per day so would only need to add chlorine once or twice a week. You still need to occasionally test other water parameters such as pH, but with a cover it shouldn't change very much.