PDA

View Full Version : Is this a correct pump to use for a above ground swimming pool

qbinflorida
06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi there,
We got a free 15 ft round above the ground pool from craigslist.
And we got this pump with it: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=2-1382
but when i look this pump up, doesnt look like a pool pump.
It says: 1 HP 115 VAC WATER ACE R100U SPRINKLER/TRANS. PUMP
Can we use this pump for or pool, its a 4500 gallon pool
Thanks for your guys reaction.

Quint

BigDave
06-06-2012, 09:43 AM
that's a pretty strange pump for this purpose. British Standard Pipe Threads. This pump would work at higher pressure than pool equipment usually does. Pool pumps usually have a strainer to catch debris before entering the impeller.

What kind of pool is it?

BigTallGuy
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
It is a pretty small pump, only rated for 8.9 Gallons per minute. My 3/4 horse hayward is rated at 80 GPM for comparison. Just doing a rough calculation, it would take approximately 9 hours of run time to do one complete pool water turn over. IMHO, I'd look for something bigger.

qbinflorida
06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Above ground pool with liner.
I got a skimmer with it, and this pump hooks up to that.

qbinflorida
06-06-2012, 05:26 PM
The guy we get it from, set he runs it every day for 2 hours.
We also wanna buy this Saltwater pool filter, because its much better for kids eyes
http://www.lowes.com/pd_317880-15697-54601EG_0__?productId=3516206&Ntt=pool+filter&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dpool%2Bfilter&facetInfo=
what would be a good pump for this 45 gallon pool? with this saltwater poolfilter?

PoolDoc
06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
what would be a good pumpr this 45 gallon pool? with this saltwater poolfilter?

Probably, the matching Intex pump would be your best choice. However, it appears you can get it more cheaply, AND more simply by buying the combo package, which includes BOTH the pump, and the saltwater system:

Intex 54611EG Krystal Clear Saltwater System and Filter Pump (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006MDQXGO/poolbooks) @ Amazon

Use that link to check it out, but before you buy, make sure you understand the price and who's shipping. Today ( June 6, 2012), it ships free directly from Amazon for $230, and is a good deal. But, if Amazon goes out of stock, the link will bounce you to a 3rd-party Amazon seller, with different pricing and shipping. It might even be a better deal, but just make sure you pay attention.

waterbear
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Just a reminder that both of the above systems also include a copper ionizer and add copper to the water, which is not a good idea if any blonds or anyone with tinted, bleached, hilighted, permed, relaxed, or damaged hair (including sun bleached) go in the pool because of the possibility of the hair turning green.

I saw a lot of copper green hair in my previous life as a hair colorist in Miami, FL!:eek:

PoolDoc
06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks. Should have mentioned that AND the fact that you can unplug the wire to the copper electrode.

qbinflorida
06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Sound indeed like a good deal, then we have a new pump, and a saltwater systeem
Thanks for the tip ;-)
Think we gonna go for this package then for $230 :P
Can use the other pump then, to put a sprinkler systeem in my yard, instead of trowing it away.

P.s this systeem is good for a 4500 Gallon above ground pool?
Because i just see that in my post is standing 45 gallon, need to be 4500 gallon

qbinflorida
06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Darn, my little girl has dark blond hair.
But for the rest nobody in this family has tinted, bleached, hilighted, permed, relaxed, or damaged hair (including sun bleached)
Is it really that bad, that you would say buy something different? if yes, what???
Sorry for my bad english by the way i'm from Amsterdam and just moved to florida

PoolDoc
06-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Dark blond hair is not as much of a problem. But the almost white blonde hair that's pretty common among Dutch children will just about turn green if you drop a copper penny in a pool.

Watch her hair; if it begins to turn green, you can remove it with lemon juice (citric acid). Then, disconnect the wire to the copper electrodes, and that should solve the problem.

qbinflorida
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for al those tips. there are very helpfull.
Can i not Disconnect the wire to the copper electrodes from the beginning?
And then i will not have this problem thats my daughter maybe gets green hair.

PoolDoc
06-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Can i not Disconnect the wire to the copper electrodes from the beginning

Yes, absolutely.

qbinflorida
06-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Ok then there is no problem :-)
Just buy that set, and then disconnect that wire from the beginning