PDA

View Full Version : Pool light not working

neilg
06-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I have an in ground pool with a combined spa.
Found my main light was about 1/3 full of water and not working and my spa light was also out (no water in spa light). I replaced the main light bulb and the seal around it, but alas the light will still not light. I assume the water has caused an electrical issue and since the spa won't light either, it probably is not contained to just the main light canister (haven't replaced the spa light yet). What is typically the problem here (yes, I did check the breaker)? Is this something a weekend warrior can fix or do I need a professional? 120 V. and water do scare me.

thanks

PoolDoc
06-06-2012, 08:57 AM
do I need a professional? 120 V. and water do scare me.

The rule I usually follow is, if you need to ask, you need a pro. And, if you are SURE you don't need a pro, you really, REALLY need on. (Other than electricians with prior pool experience, most 'pros' are sure if they have the RIGHT knowledge.)

So, this is one sort of repair I usually refuse to 'talk people through', unless they are asking technical questions that show me they are already up to speed on wiring and electrical safety.

As you realize (which is a step up from some of our members!) electricity and pools tend to mix fatally, when people make mistakes. You need to KNOW what you are doing, before you mess with that.

A pool leak wastes water; an electrical 'leak' wastes lives!

neilg
06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
thanks PoolDoc,

Ok, you convinced me (not that I needed much convincing to avoid a fatal shock). Let me ask a slightly different question. I've already put $500.00 into the pool this month as I have had to do about 4 major/minor things that all seemed to break at once. Based on what I've described, am I looking at something that will be costly (over $200.00) to have repaired? I don't really have the money this month and can live without a light until later in the season, but getting someone out here to assess would cost me a service call only to turn them down if the cost is excessive. I realize you don't have much info as to the cause of the issue, but from your experience do you think this could be expensive?

thanks

PoolDoc
06-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I'd put it off.

The most likely way it would be LESS than $200 is if someone comes out, checks the wiring between the junction box, and tells you, "We can't fix that without digging up your deck!", and gives you a bill for a $100 service call. It's also possible that there is an easy to fix wiring fault elsewhere. But it's somewhat more likely that, if that's the case, you already got some substandard wiring which ALSO may be expensive to fix.

When I've repaired lights, it's rarely been easy or cheap.