PDA

View Full Version : cloudy SWG pool opening...new to pools

c130jake
05-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Hi, I hope this post sticks.....Pool store tried to do my first opening last week....lots-o-problems at the pool store! Manager is coming Monday to finish and repair my SWG that the tech broke. (I have made a temp repair)
This is my first opening. Pool-in ground, vinyl 20000gal, old sand filter, had tech replace sand (that is when the wire from the SWG was cut), added salt (I specifically told them to leave a few bags out as not to over salt like last year) They over-salted again...3600ppm (not as bad this year) I asked to have the Cya Acid added (tech forgot) as of tonight,
hardness-250, total Cl-5, free CL-5, pH-6.9-7.0, alk-120 cya-0
Pool blanket on, temp 60f.
I shocked the pool and added Balance pack100 per pool store direction. Green is (alge) gone but pool is now milky (4-6 ft vis....can't see drain in deep end)
After I get the pH right and the Cya right, will my pool clear? What do I do? I am afraid I may mess up my Aqua-rite. It is generating fine now with the temp repair I made. The pool store bimbo tried to sell me copper algicide but I knew better. (I used to teach HS Chemistry) She was unaware copper would mess up the electrodes of the Aqua-rite. Any other things I should know about with a SWG? Minnesota is NOT onthe leading edge when it comes to SWG. My bad pool store is the only dealer in town. Other pool stores looked at me like I was a freak when I asked about salt water pools....any info would be great! Thanks Jake

thepoolman1
05-24-2006, 12:03 PM
The cloudiness is dead (bleached) algae. Try adding a layer (handfull or so) of D.E., or better one of the cellulose-fiber alternatives) through the skimmer to help the sand filter clear it faster. You want to see the tank pressure rise about 2# when you add the product.

For your SWG, add a sequestering agent designed for use with these to the pool. If one spwcifically designed for SWG use is not easily available, you should still keep a good sequestering agent in the pool, generally added once a year. They help keep the cell cleaner. Get your pH (and probably alkalinity) up or you will be replacing a very expensive cell and other parts of your equipment sooner than you should.

Try this link: http://www.jacksmagic.com/page.cfm?id=372