PDA

View Full Version : Filter keeps losing suction power

dimchandelier
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Greetings. I've had a 24' above ground pool with Starbright sand filter for five years. It was used when we bought it.

I just hooked up the filter last week. It started running fine. But after several hours there was little or no flow through the system. It's not sucking in and not blowing out.
When I backwash it, it goes back to normal. But a few hours later there's no flow again. The pump sounds fine. There doesn't appear to be any leaks in the filter system. The skimmer is not taking in debris. The water is clean when I backwash.

Thanks.

PoolDoc
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
If your filter has a multiport valve on it, put it on "Recirculate", and see what happens. If the same pattern occurs, then the problem is most likely in your pump. If it does NOT occur on "Recirculate", then the problem is in your filter.

dimchandelier
06-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks Doc.

I did not have the problem in Recirculate mode.

Is it fixable or time for a new filter?

Thanks.

PoolDoc
06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Is it fixable or time for a new filter?

Sorry, I don't know anything about "Starbright" filters, and without seeing a parts list I don't know.

dimchandelier
06-11-2012, 09:52 PM
The o-ring where the valve body connects to the filter was broken. I replaced it. That helped some. It runs longer before losing power. Still not right though.

http://www.inyopools.com/parts_breakdown/pentair_sand_dollar.pdf

dimchandelier
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I found a hairline crack in the multi-valve top. Put some JB Weld on it. Working fine now.

Thanks.

Watermom
06-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Your post may help someone else in the future who has a similar problem. Thanks for sharing your fix.