PDA

View Full Version : Off Level Fiberglass Pool

Rudy2012
06-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi all! My pool is off level by 3.75" over a span of 30'. It was installed in 2004 by the previous owners and the contractor they used is no longer in business. Pool is about 15x30 with deep end of 8'

I can't get anyone to even consider helping me. I'm open to any suggestions - including backfilling the pool and saying forget it. In order to keep water flowing to the skimmer, it must be exactly at the tippy-top of the pool edge at the other end. Obviously in the hot summer months this is a challenge.

The concrete decking is minimal so repairing or replacing that is not a problem as it needs to be done anyway.

How is re-setting a pool cheaper than just buying a newer smaller pool to replace it with?

I also thought about lowering the skimmer and inch or two and then repairing the fiberglass above the skimmer. Or adding coping so I can keep enough water in the pool to feed the skimmer. Or both.

Keep in mind that I am selling my house in 2 years so I just want to improve/repair my pool situation and not make it an oasis.

Thanks for the advice!

Watermom
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow! Sounds like you have a big issue. Wish I could help you, but I'm not a pool installer. Hopefully someone on the forum will be able to give you some suggestions.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

CarlD
06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I'd guess you could move the skimmer to the low sid of the pool, too. But resetting it?
I'll let the pros here answer definitively but my guess is it would not be as cost effective as pulling it out and starting over.

PoolDoc
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm guessing the contractors who've looked at are thinking that your project is one that is likely to leave a dissatisfied customer, no matter what. Most guys (myself included) try to avoid work that's not likely to satisfy the customer, because we've learned that no matter how many times the customer says, "I know this won't be perfect" . . . they don't mean it in the end.

My remaining local service customer is a 200,000 gallon pool set on the bank of the Tennessee river, with a 4 ft thick layer of plastic (think: thick toothpaste) soil starting about 12 feet down. The engineer did have a soil test down, when the pool was built (~1992) but chose to ignore it. As a result, the SS gutter system is nearly useless, because the pool sags 2 1/2" from the SE corner to the NW corner. About 3 years ago, I finally convinced the GM and board that they HAD to do something because it was STILL settling. They spent about $40,000 stabilizing the pool.

But re-leveling it? Not practical.

They're talking about a $1 - 2 million redo in a couple of years: if it's ever fixed, that will be when.

In your case, the only practical solution I can think of would be to lower the skimmer, using a fiberglass or SS plate to fill the enlarged cutout, and to mount the skimmer.

I'll ask Waterbear and Waste to take a look, however.