PDA

View Full Version : help with water loss

tamaran2
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
r

My husband and I kind of inherited this home last yr after we lost our home on April 27th, 2011 to the tornadoes. It was my sister old home and we now live here.

I have a problem that is cause me an issue.. I use the bbb method and did yrs ago when I owned a pool before...(although my sister and her hubby disagree with EVERYTHING...they have been pool schooled) Anyway, when I run the hayward sand filter, one cycle, on filter...I am losing 1 and 1/2 inches to 2 inches a day. It is a 30,000 vinyl lined IG pool. I checked at the pump, no water lost or no water visible. it is a new liner, only 2 yrs old, do I don't think it is there. But I checked the back wash area that is 15 to 20 ft away from the house and it looks like a swamp there, remember filter is on FILTER not backwash. So my brother in law calls and tells me that the O ring is not needed, he order a plastic piece in its place that last 10 yrs...not such what this is... and that he ran the filter on recirculate ALL the time so he didn't lose water. When I questioned him on how he CLEANED the pool if he NEVER filtered it, he said that is what I did. I have backwashed and backwashed, rinsed and rinsed, and still not getting anywhere. I am still losing 2 inches a day of water. I did move it over to recirculate today to see if the water lose is the same...not sure yet.

Any ideas? I don't have alot of money to spend right now.

PoolDoc
06-04-2012, 07:44 AM
1. Unscrew the bask wash connection -- you may have to cut the line to do so, if it's piped with hard plastic.
2. Operate the pool on filter.
3. See if water leaks out the BW port. If it does, go to #4

4. If so, get a ball valve like this one

King Brothers WLT-1500-S 1-1/2-Inch Slip PVC S-40 Commercial Ball Valve, White (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000K1BDDM/poolbooks)
King Brothers WLT-2000-S 2-Inch Slip PVC S-40 Commercial Ball Valve, White (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000K1DI7G/poolbooks)
You can get something similar at Lowes or Home Depot, but they seem to all be Chinese made, and low quality Chinese plumbing (even with American brand names!) has cost me $1,000's in the last 3 years -- I now avoid it at all costs -- but these American made valves are as inexpensive as the Chinese ones.
5. Install the valve on the backwash discharge line. Be careful not to get glue into the valve internals!
6. Turn the valve OFF during filter operations, but remember to open it when backwashing!