PDA

View Full Version : High Phosphate in Salt Water Pool

amesza1
06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I just got back from the pool store to check my water chemistry and I was told my phosphate level is too high at 2500 ppb. I never had this problem before. Do I need to lower the phosphate level and to what level and with what. I have a watermaid salt chlorinator. The water is crystal clear an there is no algee in the pool, the chemistry is:
FC-3.0
TC-5.0
CC-2.0
PH-8.0
Hardness-250
Alkalinity-150
Cyanuric-60
Copper-0
Iron-0
TDS-5000
Phosphate-2500
Salt-6000
Water Temp-86F

Thanks for your help

waterbear
06-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I would not worry about the phosphate at all. It is a non-issue and you don't have any problems now either, BUT the CC of 2 ppm and the pH of 8 is troublesome.
First, shock the pool with bleach or liquid chlorine to about 20 ppm a to get rid of the CC (since you did not say how big your pools is I can't tell you how much to put in but a good rule of thumb is that one gallon of bleach or liquid chlorine wil raise the FC in 10,000 gallons by approx. the strength of the chlorine (i.e. a gallon of 6% bleach will raise it 6 ppm and a gallong of 12.5% pool chlorine will raise it about 12.5 ppm.) It might take more than one shocking, depending on the source of the CC.
I would also add some acid to get the pH below 7.8.
Once you get the CC to 0 ppm you can work on the pH stabilty.
Bringing your CYA up a bit to around 80 ppm and setting the SWCG to maintain a 4-5 ppm FC is the first thing I would recommend
Then getting your TA down to about 70 ppm to minimize the pH rise from outgassing of CO2. (If you have a plaster pool you will need to bring the calcium hardness up a bit to keep the water balanced...around 350 to 450 ppm.