PDA

View Full Version : does dead algae sink or float

mspool
05-21-2006, 01:21 PM
does dead algae sink to the bottom or float in water and cause cloudiness. I am confused. some people say their water is clear and can see dead algae on the bottom. others say cloudy water because of dead algae. anyone know?

waste
05-21-2006, 04:33 PM
ms, good to see you again! :)
The algae will sink, if given a chance. If you keep the filter running the water turbulence will slow the sinking, but if you turn off the filter(once you're ~ sure the algae is dead) overnight, the next morning you should be able to vac to waste - a lot of it will collect in the corners/ nooks & cranies that usually have the dirt etc that has to be vacuumed on a regular basis. It helps to brush while the cl is high so that you make sure all the algae has been exposed - also, the bristles on your pool brush are much better at loosening it than the ones on a vac head. Vacuuming to waste keeps the filter from getting mucked up by the algae and having it settle in 'piles' reduces the amount of water you need to waste.

timmie
05-28-2006, 05:36 PM
how do you vacumn to waste? Step by step instructions???

waste
05-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Tim, it all depends on what kind of filter you have. (BTW - welcome to the forum!) 'Waste' is a setting on sand and some DE filters which have a 'multiport', if you filter doesn't have a multiport it's probably not an option for you. If you let me/ us know what kind of filter you have we can help you better.

timmie
05-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Hi, I tried to vacumn to waste, but my hose came out of the skimmer! There was no suction to it.......I am not sure what type of pump it is but it has waste and drain on it.......................This is a great forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waste
05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Tim, I think I realize why your hose came out of the skimmer. Let me put this in a form I can go back to and quote myself, by cutting and pasting:

When you want to vacuum your pool, and are doing it through the skimmer -
1) Empty the skimmer basket and PUT IT BACK INTO THE SKIMMER
2) Put the vac on your pole and attach the end of the vac hose that 'swivels' (turns easily when grasped and twisted) to the vac head. Extend the pole, if necessary so that you can have it rest on the bottom while you fulfill the next suggestions.
3) Fill the hose with water. This can be done 2 ways, either place the 'skimmer' end on a return and wait until the vac head finishes bubbling, or feed the vac hose into the pool, pushing the entire length straight down ~2' . Use your hand to cap the end, put the skimmer plate on the end and quickly put it in the skimmer. Keep your eye on the pole, with either method the end of the pole will try to enter the pool, don't let it!
4) Go over to your filter, which should be running on "Filter", or whatever the 'normal' is for your system, and slowly turn off any other suction lines (ie, ones that aren't for the skimmer you are vacuuming through), watching the pressure gauge until you see a ~ 1/2 lb drop.
5) You are now set to vacumm. Keep an eye on your return pressure, when it drops to a trickle, it's time to backwash. (if you are vacuuming to waste, KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WATER LEVEL!!!)

I think you missed on either #3 or you had the wrong end attached to the vac head which caused the hose to come out of the skimmer. :) Hope this helped!