PDA

View Full Version : Gas Fired Pool Heater

sah255
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I just recently completed a DIY inground pool kit but did not install a heater, which I'm already regretting. Does anyone have some recommendations for a good performing natural gas fired heater? By good performing, I mean a combination of long term relaibility and efficiency.

Thanks,
Shayne

Watermom
06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
It would probably be helpful if you gave some details about your pool -- what type, volume. Have you considered solar heat? Gas heaters are expensive to operate. Many of us here on the forum use solar panels. When you combine them with a solar blanket, you have a pretty significant gain in water temperature.

(I can't give you advice on particular gas heaters, but there are several members here who do use them who might be able to help you with suggestions.)

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

sah255
06-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Thanks. It's a 23,000 gallon vinyl liner inground. I'm leaning toward a 3000 MBH heater. Through my profession I have experience with Lochinvar but more so on the commercial side and, of course, it appears to be one of the more expensive units.

I have not looked into solar thermal much yet. What type of systems is everyone using? Any parameter costing available?

BigDave
06-02-2012, 11:36 PM
mas985 has this link (http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/index.htm) to a Florida Solar Energy Comission website in his signature. This site has some good information about Solar Thermal pool water heating and while Florida is different than Pennsylvania, it presents a model for comparing the operating cost of other heat sources under Sizing & Economics.

PoolDoc
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
You also need to decide how big a bill you want to pay. Gas rates are down a lot over the past decade, but it's still true that most people who try to heat their pool with gas, do so until they get their 2nd late fall gas bill . . . and then the heater gets turned off.

If you want to WARM your pool -- that is, extend the season a bit, and keep the pool warm during rainy periods in summer -- that is a far more practical goal, for most people.

Either way, a 3,000,000 BTUH heater is massive overkill. I 'warm' (10 degree boost) a 200,000 gallon commercial pool very satisfactorily with a 400,000 BTUH gas heater.

sah255
06-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Yikes, thanks for pointing out the heater size - one too many zeros in my number - I meant 300 MBH.

Yes, I do plan on only using to warm the pool occasionally and maintain warmer temperatures for possibly one month in the spring and 1 month in the fall. Other than that there really isn't much need for continuous heat in my climate. This year is an exception howevere because I just filled the pool with fresh water and if course we're having some really mild weather right now so I'm not picking up a lot of heat.

PoolDoc
06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
good deal.

Spensar
06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
If it helps, I can share my experience with my pool. I had a Jandy Lite 2 put in originally - basic unit with a pilot light, no electronics. It lasted 6 years, though when I first had the pool I wasn't good about calcium levels and balance so I am not out to slag them. It was a basic heater though. I just put in a Hayward H series Lo-Nox, model H250FDN, and it is like trading in the Pinto for a Porsche. Cost wise, it was $1,650 (Canada) vs. $1,400 for similar to what I had, well worth it. Prices are cheaper in the US, and depending on shipping it can be found for around $1,400 with shipping, or less without.

I am fortunate enough to have a relation in HVAC with gas papers, and who has done pool work and when he took the panel off he said the Hayward was built like a high efficiency furnace. It also doesn't require a wind stack like the cheaper ones do, which makes the price difference less. He said it will use significantly less gas than the old one. When he was doing work with a pool store, he recommended Hayward over the other brands they carried and his experience with their heaters was good. He had not seen this model before and was impressed.

Nice compact unit, pretty light as well. Slick design and you can switch the returns from one side to the other by lifting out the modular unit and turning it around. You lift it out for maintenance and cleaning as well. It has an electronic ignition as well so no pilot, and winterizing is a very simple, with one drain plug. By law here, if I don't light the pilot, a certified gas person has to come do it in the spring. No need with the electronic ignition.

If a pool heater can be sexy, this is it :-)

If you are heating, be obsessive about using a solar blanket to keep the heat in. From the links below, not using the blanket can increase your cost by 4-5 times.