PDA

View Full Version : Pump & cover problems

brutus_a7
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Hello, bought a house with a 16 x 32 vinyl lined pool and this is my 2nd swim season. System as follows:
HW Super Pump
HW DE filter
Coverstar above deck auto cover

Issues I'm working on:
1. My pump loses suction while vacuuming. Very intermittent, it seems if I crack the bottom drain the pressure is more consistent. Pressure needle dives 5-6 psi below normal operating pressure when drain is fully closed. I constantly have to play with it making vacuuming a 3 hr process.
2. Considering a separate solar cover for May and September. My Coverstar doesn't seem to heat the pool as my neighbor's larger pool was uncovered and at a warmer temp than mine.

Looking to get 'promoted' or cleared as a non-spammer so I can search the forums.

Thanks,
Brian
Central, OH

BigTallGuy
06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi Brutus, welcome to the forum. Once you loose suction, how do you get it back? If your pump has a clear cap (usually covering a leaf basket) where you can see the water just before the water enters the pump, Check to make sure that the water is not being areated (full of bubbles). If it is, you may have an air leak somewhere in your system.

Watermom
06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Adding my welcome as well!

Solar covers are better at keeping pools from losing heat overnight than they are at adding lots of heat during the day. A lot of us use solar panels to help heat the water. If you combine solar panels with a solar cover, there is a significant temperature difference!

Use the Google search in my signature below instead of the forum's search feature. Until your registration is complete, you'll have to log out to be able to see the search results, but that will only be a temporary inconvenience!

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum!

waste
06-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Welcome to The Forum!

When you set up the vac, only close the MD enough to drop the PSI 1/2 - 1 lb., this will give you plenty of suction and keep the vac-head from sticking to the floor. ;)

If it's feasible, leave the cover open durring the day (to soak up the sun) and close it at night (to retain the heat).