PDA

View Full Version : New Intex 16' x 48" pool owner

losttree
05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi,

My name is Adam and I am currently filling an Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 pool in my back yard for my kids, 6 and 3, to play in this summer. I've been scouring the pages and posts on this site and poolsolutions to get an understanding of how to keep my pool clean and safe.

So far, I have 4 lbs of stabilizer, 2 bottles of bleach and a big box of baking soda since Wal-Mart was out of Borax. I have the 6 way kit, but haven't opened it since I have a Taylor 2006 kit on the way through mail. Assuming the Taylor kit arrives, I'll return the 6 way kit for a refund.

Assuming my water level gets above the spouts tonight, I'm planning to add half a gallon of bleach and put my stabilizer in a sock and leave the pump on. Is this a good way to get started?

Thanks for a helpful site,

Adam

BigDave
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Go ahead and open the HTH 6-way kit, it won't be a waste and you should start testing the water right away.
3 cups of 6% bleach should get you to 3ppm FC - plenty but, with no stabilizer, it will burn off quickly in the sun.
Test and add bleach several times a day until the stabilizer dissolves and you can keep FC in the pool.
Only put about 2lbs stabilizer in the stocking - this should get you to about 50ppm CYA.
As the stabilizer dissolves you'll need to increase your FC target as per Ben's Best Guess Chart (http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html)

Run the tests in the 6-way and get back to us with the results.

losttree
06-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Dave. I ran three of the tests so far, my chlorine was at 0 so I added the rest of the half gallon I started last night. I hope that was ok. Also, my pH is 7.8 and the alkalinity was at 40. I didn't know if the hardness level was needed so I skipped it. I haven't done CYA either since it is still dissolving.

Thanks,

Adam

Watermom
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
You don't need to worry about calcium hardness.

Keep some chlorine in there so the pool doesn't turn green. It is amazing how fast that can happen. Until your stabilizer gets into the water, you'll need to test chlorine at least morning and evening (and afternoon if you are home) and probably add bleach each time. Once the CYA starts registering, then you'll be able to just test and dose chlorine in the evenings only.

You are right to wait before retesting CYA. No need to waste the reagent.

Looks like you are off to a good start!

losttree
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Added 1/4 gallon of bleach late morning, Cl is 2, pH is 7.2 and Alkalinity is 30. The stablizer is still dissolving in the sock so I still haven't tested for CYA. Do I need to be concerned about the pH falling? I have Baking Soda which might help with the alkaline state too if I've been understanding my reading correctly. The weather has been cloudy and cool here so we've yet to jump in. Sunshine tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks for all your help,

Adam

BigDave
06-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Baking Soda will raise your TA, will also raise your pH a little. Borax will raise your pH while raising TA a litte. Washing Soda will raise both.
You don't want to let your pH go much lower your OK now but any lower and you'll have to act.

losttree
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Ok, we finally got in today and my CYA is finally all dissolved. I added a 1/4 box of Borax to keep the pH from going any lower as it had been trending down and was a light shade of 7.2 on my 6 way. My results tonight were Cl of 1, pH of 7.2, Alk of 40 and my CYA reading was 40.

If I understand the best guess chart, I think I need to get Cl between 3 and 6. I added 1/4 jug bleach tonight and will test in the morning. My k2006 isn't here yet so I don't want to overshoot as I can't measure above 5. Am I understanding correctly?

PoolDoc
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Don't worry about overshooting -- too much chlorine won't get you in trouble; too little will!

With the OTO kit, you want to be really yellow (on the scale) to dark yellow (off the scale). Stay there, and you'll be fine.

losttree
06-14-2012, 10:18 PM
With all the help I've gotten on here, we've been enjoying our pool the last couple of weeks. Thanks to all for the help. My k-2006 kit came recently and I used it for the first time tonight. CYA is holding between 40 and 50, pH is 7.8 and FCC was 2.0 ppm tonight. I added 1/3 gallon 6% bleach to get up into the 3-6 range from the best guess chart.

We run the pump round the clock which may be excessive, but it's working so far. My wife loves it so much, she's shopping for a 27-30 ft ag for next year.

Watermom
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Sounds like you are doing great! You really can cut back on the pump run time without your water quality suffering and it will save you some money on your electric bill. I typically turn my pump on around noon and off around 8pm. That has always worked for my pool. I don't blame your wife for wanting a bigger pool. I've never heard anyone complain about their pool being too big!

Keep up the good work and have fun swimming!