PDA

View Full Version : New Member/New Pool/Lots of "old questions

box0785
05-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Found this forum after doing a couple Google searches and love the information I've found so far.

I purchased an Intex 24'x52" metal frame on Saturday and probably jumped the gun on letting people swim in it, but we enjoyed it on Memorial Day nonetheless.

I'm already sold on the BBB method, and have already read the SWCG FAQ. I decided to join so I could start searching threads for answers before posting questions that have already been asked! Thanks for allowing me to use your forum!

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Make SURE you are keeping the chlorine levels up! Adding gallon of PLAIN 6% household bleach each *evening* will take care of that, till you can get a handle on the rest.

aylad
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the forum--we're glad to have you here! Feel free to ask whatever questions you have--but you can use the Google search link in Pooldoc's sig to search for other specific info.

box0785
05-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Last Saturday I purchased a 24'x52" Intex Metal Frame Pool from Academy that came with a 16" sand pump. I also bought an Intex Crystal Clear Saltwater System with 8, 40# bags of salt. We assembled the pool Saturday afternoon, filled it Saturday overnight (took about 14 hours) and dumped the 8 bags of salt in over the course of the day Sunday. I've already found where I should have spread the salt pouring step out over several days (live and learn, right?). I let the filter run for 24 hours straight, then kicked on the saltwater system late in the day Monday. We swam in it for a couple hours last night, but nothing to serious. I went ahead and put the saltwater system in boost mode to create chlorine for 24 hours. I've ordered a Taylor K-2006C and a K-1766 from Amazon using the forums links to help provide a kick back.

At this point, what next? I don't have the test kit to determine if there's anything I should add. I'm not even going to use the test strips because everything I've read tells me they're better being used as bookmarks. The water seems clear from the surface, but did look slightly cloudy from underneath with a pair of goggles. Granted that was before I kicked on the saltwater system. I guess I need reassurance that at this point I haven't forgotten anything. I keep reading and reading and finding all kinds of things I should do to take care of it beforehand, rather than retroactively, but I don't know what to truly do to the water until a test kit gets here, right? Should I dump a thing of bleach in the pool to give the saltwater system a kick start?

Sorry for the ramblings, just got a lot on my mind when it comes to making sure I do it right, up front, the first time.

Watermom
05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Pick up an OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops) to use until your good kit comes in so you have a way to monitor your chlorine and pH levels. Usually Walmart has them. Have you added any stabilzer (CYA) yet? If not, you need to do so. Check your SWCG manual for their recommended level. Most like around 80 or so.

box0785
05-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Good call!!
I missed that in the SWCG manual. It says for startup I need to add 3.1# of CYA, with 10ppm a minimum, 100ppm maximum and an ideal range being 30-50ppm. Seems Wal-Mart would be the best place to get that, so I'll swing by after dinner. I've read to just put it in a sock and hang it directly in front of the strainer (outlet to pump), correct?

Should I set the pump to run for another 24 hour timespan?

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Walmart may have stabilizer; get some bleach while your're there. That SWCG is marginally sized, and works best when everything is OK, with light swimmer loads. You probably ought to put a gallon of plain 6% bleach in the pool, just to clean the people goo from yesterday's swimming.

Sock goes in front of line where water comes back INTO pool.