PDA

View Full Version : algaecide overdosage

lmheid
05-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Pool is clearing but I find that we keep getting foaming on top - I'm thinking it may be too much algaecide. How can I get rid fo the foaming:eek: I have been skimming for a full day - it seems better but looking for a quicker fix.

mbar
05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Just have a little patience - it will go away. There are defoamers, but I wouldn't throw anything in the pool that you don't have to. This can happen when too much algacide is in the pool.

mwsmith2
05-21-2006, 10:14 AM
It's not so much that you overdosed, it's that you used the wrong kind of algaecide. I'm betting you used the cheap 10% stuff in the gallon jug. That is notorious for foaming, even when used in the proper quantities. You want to look for polyquat in the future, the 60% stuff. It's more expensive, but doesn't turn you pool into a foam party.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/polyquat.html

Michael

mjones
05-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm with mwsmith2.... I had the problem with foam, then I took mwsmith's advice & forked out a little more $$$. I had mustard algae, & had used a total of 4 bottles of "algaecide" before I knew there was a difference in them. I bought 2 bottle of polyquat, & there was a HUGE difference the next morning. And, 2 days later, perfectly clear water.

HOORAY FOR POLYQUAT!!! I will never be a cheapy when it comes to algaecide again.