PDA

View Full Version : High TA

smaloney62
05-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I just had a 30' AGP pool installed and I am having a tough time getting the TA down.
My local pool supply store recommened adding a pint of Muratic Acid every 4 hours until
my levels come down.
Well after 3 days of adding the MA with no success I decided to return to the store where I bought my pool to see if they had a better solution. They recommended using 2lbs of PH Minus every 3 hours. Any idea on how many days or weeks before I can add the remaining chemicals and open our pool?

aylad
05-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!!
You need to have some chlorine in the pool NOW to keep it from turning green on you. What chemicals do you need to add? What form of chlorine (stabilized, or non-stabilized) do you plan to use in your pool? What is your current TA and pH reading (taken with drop-based testing, NOT test strips!).

Lowering TA is a ratcheting-down process that requires lowering pH with acid, then aerating the pool to strip the TA and raise the pH back up. It's not a one-time thing. However, TA is usually one of the last water parameters that you need to worry about.

smaloney62
05-28-2012, 09:52 AM
I have not added any Chlorine yet, my pool supply store recommended getting my TA & PH in check before I add anything else. My PH is around 7.2 and my TA is around 200. I am using the test strips that came with my pool. I am planning on going to my local pool store to pick up a better test kit later today. I do have Shock, Chlorine tabs and conditioner that I can use. I would really like to use the pool before the holiday weekend is up!!!

PoolDoc
05-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I have not added any Chlorine yet, my pool supply store recommended getting my TA & PH in check before I add anything else.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Your pool is likely to turn green first. And THEN, they will be able to sell you chemicals by the wheelbarrow!

Do NOT listen to them!

1. Forget about TA for now.
2. Your pH is fine, for now.
3. A 30' AG pool is as much as 21,000 gallons. Each gallon of bleach adds about 3 ppm FC (free chlorine) to your pool. Add 4 gallons (or (5) 96oz jugs) ASAP.
4. See if you can get the HTH 6-way kit at your Walmart (check availability (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668))
5. Otherwise, get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit.
6. If you do NOT get a 6-way, get your pool store to check your CYA level -- but IGNORE their dumb chemical advice!!
7. Read the muriatic page linked in my signature.
8. Then, use muriatic acid to hold your pH below 7.4. Do NOT worry about TA; it will take care of itself IF you do the other stuff.
9. You do NOT need added calcium hardness: if your pool store tells to add some, IGNORE THEM.
10. Tell us what your pool water LOOKS and SMELLS like.
11. Use the link in my signature to get to YOUR signature setting: put your pool info there: gallons, type, make / model of pump / filter, other equipment.

smaloney62
05-28-2012, 11:50 AM
My pool holds 24,500 gallons. I have a 1b bag of shock, should I add it now? While my wife is on her way to get the bleach.

PoolDoc
05-28-2012, 12:07 PM
My pool holds 24,500 gallons.

Actually -- unless you have a dished bottom -- it's not that much. Dealers and mfgs almost always quote pools at the running over the sides level, not at the actual water level. 21,000 gallons is a close estimate for a 52" sidewall pool. If you have a 48" sidewall pool, it will be less.

You can use the bag of shock.

smaloney62
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
My pool has 54" side walls. I added 4 gallons of bleach + the shock.
How long should I wait before we can get in the pool?
I was hoping we could get in the pool before long.

Watermom
05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
You can get in it now. Your chlorine may be a little high but since this is a fresh fill with no CYA to speak of yet (other than the little bit that was in the bag of shock), the chlorine level isn't going to stay high. You might not want to wear your brand new swim suits, though.

PoolDoc
05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
My pool has 54" side walls.

OK. 21,500 gallons.

You might not want to wear your brand new swim suits, though.

High chlorine, especially if stabilizer is not high, is MUCH harder on swimwear than it is on people.