PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Test Kits

CCRyder8
05-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I am new to the site so I'm sure this has been asked before but must I replace my test kit each year? It seems like such a waste when only less than half of the bottle is used up. Thanks.

Watermom
05-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Nah, I don't replace mine every year. As long as it has been kept in a cool place, you should be fine.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc
05-28-2012, 12:39 PM
If you have the K-2006, you can not only replace bottles, you can buy oversize refill bottles. All the dropper bottles can be refilled by pushing the tip to the side with your thumb, pouring in fresh reagent, and popping the tip back in.

However, Taylor's DPD powder bottle has a molded in dessicant, so it's worth replacing the entire bottle. DPD powder is VERY moisture sensitive, so that's an important feature.

waterbear
05-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Some reagents will go bad in a shorter time than others. If you keep your test kit in the house and not in the garage or shedthen the only reagents that are likely to need replacement after a season are the DPD liquids or the FAS-DPD titrants (assuming you have a Taylor K-2005 or K-2006) I have also seen phenol red pH reagent go bad but it usually lasts a few years before it does. Reagents for acid and base demand, TA, CH and CYA and OTO tend to have long shelf lives. DPD powder for the FAS-DPD test is usually good unless it has formed a solid lump in the jar or has turned completely black.

CCRyder8
05-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the helpful information.