PDA

View Full Version : New User Question

tmy23
05-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Greetings. I tried to do a search, but it said I didn;t have the "rights", I was hoping I could find the solution already posted.

I am pushing water through the flanges on my multiport valve and filter body (AG Sand filter).

I took it all apart, replaced the O-ring (the old one was dry rotted), and lubed it up. I cleaned the mating surfaces before installing the O-Ring. I then tightened the two sides equally, a few turns on one side and then a few on the other. It ran fine and I thought I had it licked, but about 2-3 hours later I went back to check and it was pushing water again?

Unfortunately I don't have a pressure valve on the filter body, so I don't know if I have unusual pressure. the water outflow is nice and strong, so I don't suspect there is a clog?

I appreciate any help. The one thing I haven';t done in a while is change sand, I will pull it all apart and do that tomorrow....after that, not sure what else to try??

PoolDoc
05-27-2012, 09:34 PM
You can use the search link in my signature.

You don't have to change the sand unless it's gummed up. That doesn't happen too often on residential pools unless:
(a) you've used Baquacil or one of the other PHMB based products;
(b) you've used one of the sand-alternatives;
(c) you've used a sand 'booster'.

But, if you've got so much backpressure, your multiport valve is leaking where it bolts together -- checking your sand would be a very good idea.

CarlD
05-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Did you change the O-Ring or the spider gasket? if the spider gasket is bad, you can get leaks and other problems.

tmy23
05-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Ben and carl,

I guess I wasn't too clear. the leak is where the multiport valve mates with the sand filter body. There is a 2 part plastic clamp which holds the two together. As mentioned, when I fired the system up, it was leaking where the two clamp halves meet (at the bolts). I took it apart, cleaned the mating surfaces, lubed and installed a new O-ring. I even thought the clamp was binding a bit on the flange, so I put some lithium grease on the inside "V" surface of the clamp, and in fact it did close tighter than before, and it didn't leak at all. But about 2-3 hours later, it was leaking. I'll try the sand next.

not sure what else to try after that?

thanks