PDA

View Full Version : Inground pool cloudy

Rvjames
05-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Hello this is my first time here awesome work and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I have a 24K gallon vynal pool, it had a mesh cover over the winter and last saturday May 19th I openeed it and it was a swamp. After almost over 10 gallons of 12% bleach and 10 lb Calcium Hypoclorate shock being used over the last week and raising the PH CYA as per the test kit Taylor DPD test kit following are the water test results but the water is still cloudy and the kids want to jump in due to the hot temperature. I Have been back washing twice everyday one in the morning and once at night.

FC 5
TC 5
TOtal Alkalinity 110
PH 7.6
Calcium hardness 90
CYA 50

I have a Haywards 1 1/2 hp pump with a sand filter. I bought the home two yes back and don't know when the sand was last changed. Could Someone help with one to make the water clear and do I need to change the sand in the filter?

Thank you
James

Watermom
05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Your numbers look pretty good. You probably just need to filter out the dead algae. Run your pump 24/7 while you are trying to clear this up. Only backwash when the pressure rises 8-10psi over the clean filter pressure. You do not need to change the sand. I'm on my 12th season with the same sand. You may need to top off the sand filter though as over time, it is normal to lose a little. That may be the case in your situation.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

PoolDoc
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
I Have been back washing twice everyday one in the morning and once at night.

Stop that! As Watermom said, you need to wait till the filter pressure rises.