PDA

View Full Version : Green Pool

dmlloyd
05-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I opened my pool yesterday and it is green I am running the filter but not sure what else to do. I have never ever had this issue when opening my pool. Any Ideas??

Watermom
05-27-2012, 04:17 PM
We are going to need some information in order to be able to help. Tell us what type of pool you have, the volume, type and size of filter and type of pump. Also we need a current set of water testing results taken with a drops-based kit, not test strips. Make sure that CYA is one of the numbers you report. Is the water green and clear or green and cloudy? Do you fill from a well or city water?

Repost with requested info and somebody here will try and help.

dmlloyd
05-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I have an above ground pool about 13000 gal with a sand filter 1 and 1/2 hp the chlorine is high because I just added 3 gallons of chlorine and some alegacide the ph is at 6.8. The filter has been running since late yesterday afternoon I had put some alegacide in then. I back washed the filter before adding the chlorine and alegacide. It appears to be a cloudy green looking more. We fill from the city water. Not sure what a CYA no. is. Can you help me, I'm desperate.

PoolDoc
05-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Can you help me, I'm desperate.

She can help you -- but you'll have to slow down. The pool will NOT be OK for this weekend. You cannot clean up an algae infestation in a couple of days, ESPECIALLY with typical AG pool pump and filter combinations. If all goes well, your pool will be usable by NEXT weekend, not this one.

Of course, you can go to the pool store, and they will be more than happy to sell you all sorts of stuff to help you right now. If you use the sort of things we typically see "desperate" pool owners buying, you'll spend $$$ and your pool will likely be ready to use in 2 or 3 weeks.

dmlloyd
05-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Okay, I checked my pool this morning and it is now a cloudy blue color. I backwashed again, and am going to brush the sides and bottom. and keep the filter going. Is there anything else I should be doing?

PoolDoc
05-28-2012, 11:23 AM
1. Add chlorine bleach -- plain 6% household bleach, 2 gallons at a time.

2. See if you can get the HTH 6-way kit at your Walmart (check availability (http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668))

3. If not, get a cheap OTO / phenol red kit, and tell us what you find. (pH & chlorine)

4. Order a K2006, but wait till Wednesday or after. The low cost suppliers are out of stock. (See the test kit info page in my sig.)