PDA

View Full Version : Razzysmom's thread

razzysmom
05-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi. I would like to thank you for the great information on here. It has helped me greatly. I have an Intex 20X52. I just upgraded to a Columbia 22" 2hp filter/pump system. Got it running yesterday morning-everything is great. I have an intex skimmer that hangs from the side that I use to vac with also. I was vac'n & was okay then lost suction. I emptied the the vac mess bag and never really could get it to do good again. Had friends come over & we got in and I left the filter/pump running. It pulls in water from the skimmer basket. We were in it maybe 30 min to 1 hr. When I went to get floats out I realized I had a pile of sand under my water inlet! Please help me-what happened? Did I vac wrong? This is my third yr with the pool and my first year of having nothing but problems. Past 2 yrs have been great. I'm totally new to the sand filter. Please help-I would love to be able to enjoy my pool! Thanks!

BigDave
05-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Sounds like a really big pump for that filter. Have you backwashed the filter? Sand from the return could indicate that something is broken in the filter.

PoolDoc
05-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I had never heard of a 'Columbia 22"' - unfortunately I'm afraid we're going to here a lot more about them.

I just spent about 20 minutes looking at their website. It appears they are marketing a group of Chinese made filters, pumps and filter / pump combos. I don't know anything about the manufacturing quality (except as regards the sand filter problem you are having) but I can tell that their pool system engineering is really crappy - even by US AG product standards, which are really bad. I'm going point out the site to my moderators, because I'm afraid this is a product line we are going to need to know about.

With regard to your particular problem: they have a "troubleshooting" section, which includes exactly one "troubleshooter", and it's about YOUR problem. What that tells me, is that that's a really common problem, and in its turn, that makes it clear they have an unresolved quality problem. Here's their page:

http://www.columbiapoolproducts.com/troubleshooting/
and here's the parts page:

http://www.columbiapoolproducts.com/spare-parts/
Most likely, you need the "udrain" part.

But, I'd call them and see if you can get it warranted:

Columbia Pool Products, Inc. ▪ Service: (718) 402-8233
111 Bruckner Blvd., Bronx, NY 10454

What's almost certainly has happened is that the under drain has broken, spilling sand into the pool. If the filter is new, maybe they'll send you one free.

Regardless of any of that - when a sand filter begins dumping sand into the pool, it's time to open the filter and see what's wrong.

Sorry for your problems, and good luck!

CarlD
05-27-2012, 09:03 PM
The UDRAIN sound like the joint where the laterals in the tank meet the vertical pipe that rises up to the multivalve. And, as Ben says, it sounds like it is a problem. Did you load the filter with the full 250 lbs of sand it takes?

Carl

PoolDoc
05-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Carl, that filter doesn't have laterals.

CarlD
05-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Carl, that filter doesn't have laterals.

Really? How can it work? The Udrain sounded exactly like the laterals in a std sand filter, but as if there are only 4 of them --"an X at the bottom of the tank"

PoolDoc
05-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Ok, could be -- I've never seen anything but the hub and spoke arrangement, and it didn't sound like that to me. However I couldn't find a picture, so you may be right.

CarlD
05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Ok, could be -- I've never seen anything but the hub and spoke arrangement, and it didn't sound like that to me. However I couldn't find a picture, so you may be right.

We are both guessing here, but I'm just extrapolating from what they say. I must admit I'm not impressed by their website or support level.

razzysmom
05-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back. I took all of the sand out and inspected the bottom X and the center pipe. Didn't see anything broken. The center pipe doesnt actually attach to the X, it has a smaller fitting on it that sets down on the X. Don't know if thats normal since this is my first sand filter. I put the sand back in it, filled it up, attached the top and it has been running fine. (knock on wood) I feel that when I was using the vac, it lost flow and began suckn up sand? Maybe I didnt have it attached good? I dont know how they expect you to fix the X cause it wont come out of the tank unless you break it. Hopefully I wont have to deal with that. I do recommend to anyone with an intex pool with cartridge filters to replace it with a sand filter if its in your budget. Within just a few hours of running it the pool had cleared up dramatically. Again, thanks for all the help, the BBB has helped me with my pool greatly. If I had to mess with chemicals much I think I would of gave up the pool long ago. I'll try to keep you posted about the service I get out of my Columbia.

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I took all of the sand out and inspected the bottom X and the center pipe. Didn't see anything broken. . . . .
I put the sand back in it, filled it up, attached the top and it has been running fine. (knock on wood)

I could not even begin to tell you how many times I've taken something that was broken all apart, found nothing wrong, re-assembled it, and had it work fine. It used to drive me crazy. But, every service guy I've ever talked to has done the same thing, and I finally quit worrying about it!

razzysmom
06-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Back for an update on my Columbia system. On June 21, which is 1 month to the day that I ordered it, I came home to a pump running but no water flowing. First thing the next morning I call Columbia, explain problem, fella tells me I need a new impeller. I email him the info he needs, I call him back, he checks email and tells me that he will send me out a new impeller and that I should get it by mid week. I didn't agree with this process, I felt it should have been overnighted seeing as which I hadn't even gotten a full months use out of it. But I hooked up my paper cartridge filter to get me through the next few days. Yesterday was mid week and I have not gotten my part. I call Columbia again this morning and speak with a lady who informs me that my part was just mailed out YESTERDAY!! Needless to say my bp went thru the roof. All she could tell me was that the fella probably did take it to shipping on Friday but shipping has been backed up cause people want their parts this time of year. (You don't reckon!) I know things that are mechanical can have defects from the factory, stuff happens, but don't lie to me. I do not recommend buying anything from Columbia. I wish I would have spent the extra money and purchased a Hayward and I believe I wouldn't of had the aggrivation that I have had. Oh well, live and learn! (now that my bp is lower)