PDA

View Full Version : new to pool forum love the site!

splash
05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Thank you for having such a great forum to help
with the pools, i have a small intex 16' so i am going to
get a solar heater..looks like the thing to make it more fun

Watermom
05-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Solar panels make a big difference in the water temp. Especially if you also use a solar blanket on it at night to prevent losing the heat you gained during the day.

Tell us more about your pool, type of filter, size of pump and how you have been caring for it so far. Do you have a good test kit?

Hope you enjoy being a part of the forum

splash
05-26-2012, 09:56 PM
yes i wanted to get one for quite a while, our pool place has one for almost 200$ ,but we found a cheaper one at kmart, will see if it is what i wanted to get more use out of it.

We got a 16' intex blow up ring and Krystal clear mod 637r filer pump , with solar blanket, and solar lights:), after looking at the solar heater tho it is not solar" at all hmm have to see what else there is have just added about 20z 12.5% sh

SafetyBob
05-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Splash, I have two of the small Game Solar heaters that are the square things with coiled black hose under a plastic dome. With roughly 8 hours of poor sun today, they made a big difference on the pool. Just one wasn't really helping that much.

Keep that solar blanket on to keep the heat in the pool over night. Welcome to the forum.

Bob E.

splash
05-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Thank you bob!

ScottsPool
05-29-2012, 01:31 PM
of course, I'm not in Oregon, but Indiana is not exactly Florida either...however, I have the same pool as you. My water has gone from 70 to 80 since saturday and that is without a solar cover. these pools are just so shallow that they really do heat up quickly during the day...you just need to save as much of that heat at night as possible...seems to me that the solar cover would be a great way to start (and reasonable expense)...personally, I enjoy a bit of a nip (slightly chilly water)...

could the pool experts here tell me if there is a correlation between temperature and chemistry? in other words, will it be easier or harder to moderate the chemical compostion as the water temperature fluctuates versus keeping a more consistent temp with assistance (solar cover or heater)?

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
will it be easier or harder to moderate the chemical composition as the water temperature fluctuates versus keeping a more consistent temp with assistance?

The main effect of temperature that pool owners notice is that algae is more likely, and more troublesome, at 90F than at 70F.

splash
05-29-2012, 02:30 PM
The main effect of temperature that pool owners notice is that algae is more likely, and more troublesome, at 90F than at 70F.
http://i1155.photobucket.com.KILLED/albums/p560/splashwc/FILE0313.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cErCE-ZdGF0/T8VhAWD1OqI/AAAAAAAADAw/5-ra7jj169o/s640/web%2520waterbed%2520heater.jpg
i have installed this wb heater i know it prob is a waste of elect, wish i could build solar kit to power it tho

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Let me put it this way:

Do NOT let any LIVE people anywhere NEAR that pool, till you've removed that thing!

splash
05-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Let me put it this way:

Do NOT let any LIVE people anywhere NEAR that pool, till you've removed that thing!
i have the control in plastic now, why do you think it poses electric shock?

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Johnny,

It's late. We've been so overwhelmed with new members that I've had to disable new registrations temporarily. And what's more, I've found that 90% of the folks who do something like this, don't understand the explanation of why they should not. So I hope you'll forgive me, but I'm going to pass.

Feel free to ask a local electrician or building inspector . . . or your homeowner's insurance rep.

Odds are you'll live.

If I'd died every time I did something, between the ages of 15 and 30, that was likely to get me killed, I'd have needed 25 lives, not 9! Still, I hope you have life insurance, and have selected guardians for your kids.

splash
05-29-2012, 11:55 PM
thanks pool doc, I installed these in 1000's of waterbeds, i'd prob get it, sorry if I've done something stupid, are you saying you think I'm in the 90%?

CarlD
05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm gonna say it: A waterbed is indoors, and it's sealed. This is outdoors, open and water splashes. Your unit is NOT designed to be used outdoors. I hope, at a minimum, it's plugged into a GFCI, and I agree with Ben--do NOT let anyone in the pool while it is plugged in. UNPLUG IT!

A 4'x10' or 2'x20' solar panel will make your INTEX toasty warm--safely! I had a 15' round and with the 4'x10' got it up to hot-tub temps--105 deg!

Carl