PDA

View Full Version : newbie

ScottsPool
05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
okay....trying out pool ownership, as advised, with intex metal frame (16x48)....

it is on mostly level ground....it has a bit of fall to one side...now, that I have it set up, it turns out to be 2 - 3 inches....

I have access to any amount of limestone sand that I need....this stuff is course, but packs like stone. do you think that I can get away with a couple of tons of this packed and leveled, then the tarp and pool...

also, should I upgrade the tarp to a heavier thickness given this?

BigDave
05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
When I had my intex donut, I dug in a circle of landscape edging (the 8" tall stuff with a black tube on top) and I levelled that as I installed it. Then I filled the inside level with sand and back-filled the outside with soil and grew grass on it. The highest part was about 4" exposed before backfill. I think the crushed lime would work great but you may want some provision to keep it from washing out. If it's sharp, you may consider a layer of sand below the ground cloth to protect the liner (and feet).

ScottsPool
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Sand worked great; bleach, borax, and algaecide in....couple of hours in, chlorine was down so added dose....total alkalinity on high side....otherwise looks great.....pump and skimmer work better than I anticipated....have a lot of locust, little leaves trickling everywhere....think I might just test the waters! Any pitfalls I might anticipate this weekend?

PoolDoc
05-27-2012, 02:57 PM
You might want to use "crusher run" (at least that's what it's called around here) rather than graded 1/2" stone. Crusher run -- everything left after the 1" and larger stones are removed -- can be graded, then wetted, and then rolled flat. Even so, I'd recommend the heavier 'silver/brown' tarps, rather than the thin blue ones.

ScottsPool
05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
so...on the low side, I made a block barrier...added a some extra sand and topped with stone...it is a bit ghetto fabulous....but come on, I have a big plastic pool in my yard!

the first weekend went pretty well; water quality stayed pretty good...just some added chlorine as the sun baked it out....water was about 70 when delivered and is around 80 now...I dosed it again last night and covered it in anticipation of rain and in hopes of getting it back in line...also vac'd the bottom for the first time...as with everything about this little pool....it went better than anticipated.

now....is there any way to keep the chlorine and pH up during the day? I looked at CYA....but it says to add it to the skimmer....that doesnt seem like a good idea for me (since the filter is chincy at best!)....

thanks everyone for a great site and wealth of knowledge!

===================================

also...should I be adding the algaecide every couple of days?

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
You do need stabilizer, but you should put in an old sock, and hang it in front of the return.

Do NOT use algaecide. There are a few -- VERY FEW -- occasions where use of polquat (info (http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/polyquat.html)) should be used. But, for the most part, just keep your chlorine up.

ScottsPool
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
thanks....I did use the original dose of 60% algaecide on the first day (from the kiddie pool care advice)....I will discontinue use of that. I will get the sock and CYA in there when I get home....in the meantime (per another thread...which I still maintain should be a sticky!) I will hit it with bleach in the evening and before swimming until the stabilizer has had time to build up.

as for pH....I see it slide down each day as well...is it just finding its "comfort zone" and I should leave well enough alone....or should I be dosing with borax to keep it up as well?

PoolDoc
05-29-2012, 02:10 PM
If you try to keep any of your pool 'numbers' from moving up and down (and lots of people do!) you'll work yourself to death, and accomplish nothing useful.

You are trying to maintain a pool; not a math experiment: if the 'numbers' are in range, they are GOOD, not 'good enough'. Do not chase the numbers!

We have a lot of scientific and medical half-information floating around . . . like the idea that your temperature should be 98.6 OR that your pulse should be 72. Sometime, when you're NOT sick, but ARE going to be physically active, carry a fever thermometer with you, and check your temp every hour. You'll quickly find that 98.6 is just an AVERAGE temperature, and that it may not even be YOUR average!

ScottsPool
06-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I just wanted to check in and say a big thank you to everyone....we have been in the pool virtually everyday for the better part of the last two weeks. The water is wonderful. I only infrequently add bleach and have added borax only once (my fault of course, for not getting her stabilized).

I keep telling my son, "best birthday ever!"...his request for a pool with a ladder has won us all a summer of fun. I now the experts understand (thanks again)....but for all you newbies out there....this is a lot cheaper and easier than I could have ever imagined thanks to the recommendations here.

Watermom
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Scott, for writing back and for the testimonial. Hope you have a great summer enjoying that pool. If you need us again, you know where to find us! Happy swimming!